Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better tell this guy he's a wanker and isn't allowed on your boat! :rofl3:

Lamar-Bio-291x300.jpg

And this guy. :rofl3:

During a shore entry I slipped on a seaweed-covered rock in knee-deep water, fell and wasn't able to get up due to the surf. Being able to both see and breathe during those couple of minutes was highly appreciated.

I would not recommend wearing a mask backwards when entering the water either from a boat or shore. I specifically wrote "when standing" in shallow water.

One of the ways to prevent a mask from fogging is not to put it on your forehead after treating the lenses prior to a dive because your sweat will get up inside the lens and exacerbate the problem. .

I find this doesn't really work with wet hair. Still fogs. :(

I don’t need to. My buddy lost his mask that way.

Could be other factors at play. To name a few: type and shape of strap, how tight it fits, how the strap or mask was positioned, the shape of your buddies head, and how the incident occurred.

I never saw wearing a mask backwards until the DIR guys made an appearance. In Norcal we don’t have any tech diving per se but there was a group of DIR tech types that established themselves in Monterey in the early 2000’s. That was the first time I saw that. The explanation was that their necks were already too cluttered with a bungeed second and a wrapped long hose so the only logical solution was to place the mask on their heads backwards. Doing MOF was not an option since it’s considered bad practice. I don’t see much difference between MOF or MOB, the mask is still on your head.
I personally don’t have an opinion either way what they do, but you won’t catch me wearing a mask on my head either MOF or MOB. I was trained to pull the mask down around my neck for good reason and I still do it. Like it was already mentioned, in more rigorous environments the recommendation is to leave your mask on and your reg in your mouth until you are clear of ocean hazards. It was burned into our heads that a good way to lose a mask is to have it on your head, always pull it down. That’s not just a PADI thing in my area, that’s a seasoned veteran instructor telling us that who dived the North Coast from the beginning. He was also NAUI from before PADI was even around.
It might be different in cave country or in a quarry, but MOB is something you just don’t see around here.

I picked up a tip this past week while diving in Florida. I noticed a diver walking around on the boat with his mask on backwards, and the lightbulb came on. I've been diving for almost 40 years and never even thought of it, it's so simple and solves an annoying issue.

One of the ways to prevent a mask from fogging is not to put it on your forehead after treating the lenses prior to a dive because your sweat will get up inside the lens and exacerbate the problem. Also if you're in the water and conditions are calm and you're waiting for the boat for example, you just might want to risk removing the mask from over your eyes so you can see what's going on around you or enjoy the view of the ocean or the coastline. Also there are some who still believe that a diver who is calmly floating on the surface of the water and isn't acting strangely may be in serious distress if they are wearing their mask on the forehead. Many divers don't like to drop the mask around their neck.

The solution- simply turn the mask around so it's on the back of your head. It's still very secure, and solves those problems.

For me, with a prescription ground into my mask lenses, keeping it on (notwithstanding all of the reasons cited above) allows me the luxury of doing just what I have highlighted. Mine stays on correctly until I am firmly in the boat and seated.

For decades I have been a mask around the neck. But the clutter mentioned above was making it more difficult. It was turning more into a mask around the mouth. Especially when looking down. Last time out other were doing the backwards thing, it actually works pretty good. It's more of a post dive action as my pre dive anti fog ritual is very specific and slaughtering another lamb on the boat has been banned.

I always assumed it was for the "distressed diver" that is taught. In my Rescue class I was taught that, so ever since just keep it on the back of my head, out of water just to stay consistant. So may be the same thinking on their part

Caruso, why ask if you will not accept experience of other divers, especially one with over 4,000 dives in all sorts of conditions, locations and has already found out the pitfalls of what you propose?

I can tell you that most experienced divers will look down on you for wearing your mask anywhere but where it is supposed to be, that is, on your face. If you continued to do this diving off my boat, you would be looking for someone else to take you out.

Can you tell me what operation you run? I'd hate to accidentally end up on your boat or give you any of my money....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom