Student aquarium diver bitten by shark - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, I can appreciate the wealth discrepancy and have seen firsthand how far people from a third world country will go to make a buck. That being said, a DSD should not be completed in a shark tank.

Back when I started me and my son did a DSD, I have dove with sharks. Never at any point would I think combining the 2 to be a good idea.

Anyway, my attempted point was that the operator wasn't particularly interested in quality of diving taught, but just out for the sales. That's true of many in various industries in the US as well.

I would point out that we have no idea what happened, other than what we read through the statement of the dive operators, and some anonymous social media "commentators. The dive operator would (1) have a YUGE incentive to make this the diver's fault, and (2) is operating in an area of the world where the free flow of accurate information is notoriously limited, and under tight control by the authorities.

Yeah, it's fun to beat up on a victim by saying that her diving skills were terrible, etc... but who knows what really happened?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of off-topic comments have been deleted. The A&I forum is not the place to discuss geo-politics. And the special rules prohibit blaming the victim. I removed some of those and some that I left are skating pretty darn close to that line; I may yet change my mind about them and delete them, but I wanted to get this re-opened. Please be respectful (as per the special rules of this forum). Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Something provoked the shark to bite the diver. As mentioned in the articles above that sand tiger sharks are pretty docile, otherwise they won't put them in the aquarium with people diving with the sharks.

Even in the open sea, they are known for being harmless to divers. I dove with them several times in the wrecks off the coast of Wilmington, North Carolina. DM called them as pussy cat of the sea. I made a couple video clips of them swimming as closed as a foot away from me. They just ignored me. I didn't dare to touch them though. The rule of the game. No touch!

IMO you should never take divers with bad buoyancy in an aquarium with sharks... And, I wouldn't be surprised if she chased the shark, like the article said...

Back
Top Bottom