What was the best training you ever did?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE Fundamentals, I am coming up on 300 dives, have done rescue, and am a new Instructor. I have to say the Fundies made me feel like I was a poser and should sell all my gear lol but not going to happen because I passed. It was very challenging and made me a much better and much more aware diver. Which now I can pass on to those that I teach and dive with. Great experience.

Before that Cavern, learn a ton but think I was to new a diver and should have waited. Had a great instructor now I think I would have much more fun doing it.

So to recap: at close to 300 dives, you have done all the certs through rescue and Instructor, and even Cavern - through PADI, SSI, and IANTD (according to your profile). THEN you did GUE Fundamentals of Recreational Diving, and acknowledge that this BASIC skills class made you "much better and much more aware," than any other class, and was in fact the best class you have ever taken. WOW!

But now you want to take what you learned in GUE brand training, and pass it off as whatever brand you are an instructor for - even though your instructor brand's training was so poor that they failed to train you with these basic skills. WOW!

You discovered one brand that has gone to great lengths to differentiate themselves and compete in a very competitive market. So IMHO, giving superior credit to the agency that failed you is misleading to your students, and is unethical professionally.

Many divers on here go to great lengths to claim that training brand doesn't matter. But you compared four agencies and discovered there is a difference. Instead of promoting brands that failed you, why not become an instructor for and promote the brand that actually made you "much better and much more aware" and gave you your best training experience?

why not become an instructor for and promote the brand that actually made you "much better and much more aware" and gave you your best training experience?

Because GUE won't let you dive alone to go help an injured animal in 40 feet of water. :)

I will credit GUE-F, Tech 1 & Tech 2 with making me a better diver and instructor, but I don't want a church and religious zealotry interfering with my diving life and the decisions I'm capable of making on my own in a 37 year diving career.

Every organization has SOP's and rules, but while the military and public safety diving demand conformity when engaging in activities with your unit, GUE strives for conformity during all dives even when not taking part in diving that has anything to do with the organization. They make exceptions in some cases, but you still have to get permission so to speak.

"Dear GUE: Thank you for your high standards and the things I learned to improve my trim, buoyancy, propulsion, team skills, and knowledge. Now, bugger off unless you want to pay me a salary. I'm going diving."

Because GUE won't let you dive alone to go help an injured animal in 40 feet of water. :)

I will credit GUE-F, Tech 1 & Tech 2 with making me a better diver and instructor, but I don't want a church and religious zealotry interfering with my diving life and the decisions I'm capable of making on my own in a 37 year diving career.

Every organization has SOP's and rules, but while the military and public safety diving demand conformity when engaging in activities with your unit, GUE strives for conformity during all dives even when not taking part in diving that has anything to do with the organization. They make exceptions in some cases, but you still have to get permission so to speak.

"Dear GUE: Thank you for your high standards and the things I learned to improve my trim, buoyancy, propulsion, team skills, and knowledge. Now, bugger off unless you want to pay me a salary. I'm going diving."
Why do you need "permission from GUE to make a dive? You're a certified, card-holding diver regardless of training agency. That alone says you're capable and competent enough to do so. I don't understand why you'd need permission to make rec dives using your own good judgement, especially as an instructor.

SIDEMOUNT. Pushed my skills and task loading abilities. Donning and doffing tanks underwater, keeping track of gas, stowing and deploying hoses,

I highly doubt the injured animal will rat on you. :wink:

Why do you need "permission from GUE to make a dive? You're a certified, card-holding diver regardless of training agency. That alone says you're capable and competent enough to do so. I don't understand why you'd need permission to make rec dives using your own good judgement, especially as an instructor.

If you have an SDI solo card (or other proof of solo training) GUE C-card holders may dive alone. If you are a GUE instructor, you are not allowed because you wouldn't be representing the organization well as a pro member.

"What was the best training you ever did?"

The Navy calls it the Fighter Weapons School
The pilots call it ...
wDO3Z8i.png

Oh c'mon sooner or later someone was going to say it.

All joking aside though, although I have never taken the course as portrayed in the movie, I have been fortunate enough to have been there twice (before it left NAS Miramar).

So to recap: at close to 300 dives, you have done all the certs through rescue and Instructor, and even Cavern - through PADI, SSI, and IANTD (according to your profile). THEN you did GUE Fundamentals of Recreational Diving, and acknowledge that this BASIC skills class made you "much better and much more aware," than any other class, and was in fact the best class you have ever taken. WOW!

But now you want to take what you learned in GUE brand training, and pass it off as whatever brand you are an instructor for - even though your instructor brand's training was so poor that they failed to train you with these basic skills. WOW!

You discovered one brand that has gone to great lengths to differentiate themselves and compete in a very competitive market. So IMHO, giving superior credit to the agency that failed you is misleading to your students, and is unethical professionally.

Many divers on here go to great lengths to claim that training brand doesn't matter. But you compared four agencies and discovered there is a difference. Instead of promoting brands that failed you, why not become an instructor for and promote the brand that actually made you "much better and much more aware" and gave you your best training experience?
I am not sure what your point is but you read a lot into what I wrote, never said any of the training I had was poor just at a different point in my diving and those agencies have a different training model which is good for what they do. I am not misleading students or going to "pass anything off" as something its not being, nor am I being unethical training is about the instructor and at this point in my diving experience I learned more and this will help me in all my diving endeavor's.

Cheers

If you have an SDI solo card (or other proof of solo training) GUE C-card holders may dive alone. If you are a GUE instructor, you are not allowed because you wouldn't be representing the organization well as a pro member.
Yes, I have been told that. It’s probably easy for some people to agree, some people it’s a showstopper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom