What was the best training you ever did?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to beat the dead horse, but Rescue was both the best and most fun course.

I did mine with with Glauco Bergamo from Cpm Morgan's in Utila. Just for reference, I ate some reeeeeaaaally bad conch the first day of the course, and it was still the time of my life. Also I've used the skills I learned in that course on every dive since, so I think more than any other you get your money's worth.

I am going to 2nd both GUE Fundamentals, and a Rescue class.

Seriously. Apparently they're like simultaneously eating bacon, hearing Bohemian Rhapsody, and having sex all for the first time.

SDI solo course!!! By far best class I have taken and learned the most from. A lot of people say rescue course. And I can see how that could be. For my career.... the rescue course just seemed like another element to that and some skills. (I am
Firefighter/paramedic). So I personally did not get much out of the rescue course that I don’t already do and teach to new recruits.

However the solo course really got me thinking about dive planning, gas management, problem solving and contingency planning. Opened my eyes as to how a dive buddy really may NOT be a good source of safety. (This believe it or not helped me look at how we do things at work too) the mindset, which is really what the course gets you to think about and change.... prepped me for better diving, and far better basic skills and fundamentals. Which in turn when becoming a DM and instructor I was ahead of the curve. Then especially getting into the tech side of diving. Your fundamentals have to be dead on. The solo course really already had me in the right mindset and practicing the skills to be a good tech diver/DM.

As for instructor? Well that’s going to be a personal choice. Over there on the east coast, now I personally have never met Trace M. But reading what others say about his courses and seeing his posts and teaching ideals.... sounds top notch! I myself if I was on the east coast I would look him up and take courses from him. (Not to say there are not other great instructors over on that side of the country. I just don’t know if them. So hopefully I haven’t stepped on anyone’s toes)

I think that my SDI Solo was great, but it was part of a progression that began long before that.
The 2 courses that made the most impact on my diving, at least for me,were the Fundies because of the vast increase in skill it brought me (tho I did not "earn the pass"), and Rescue, because it got me to pay far closer attention to details of those around me, and to better spot potential issues, before they become real issues.

Back
Top Bottom