Diving in Bali in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clara_jkt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I live in Jakarta and am visiting Bali again in October when some friends come over. I have recently (last month) done my PADI OW and AOW in Nusa Lembongan and am keen to dive when I go to Bali. I won't have much time to dive - maybe just 1 day but I'd love to hear recommendations. I was thinking that I'd do the Liberty wreck at Tulamben but am also keen to hear about other options.

I'm also not sure what the conditions will be like in October so any information or advice would be gratefully accepted. :)

Thanks!

I've dived on Bali or nearby several different Octobers. There's more chance of rain than in September, but not significant. Diving populations are at a reasonable level. I wouldn't hesitate to go again in October. You should plan on doing the wreck at 5:30 in the morning so you're surfaced and gone before the van loads of day trip divers arrive. You'll see the schooling bumphead parrotfish and jacks then too.

Clara--Welcome! You didn't mention where you will be staying on Bali. If you only have one day or so to dive it will make a difference, given what Bali traffic and roads can be like. (Like I have to tell someone living in Jakarta about traffic!)

Anyhoo, diving the Liberty is a solid choice and there are other dive sites right nearby if you want variety. Take HiD's advice about a dawn dive on the Liberty, which argues for staying overnight in Tulamben. If you can, I'd book two night's minimum at Liberty Dive Resort. Period. (I mean you wouldn't want to pass up a night dive while you are there!) // ww

Thanks both for the reply and the welcome. I have a little flexibility at the start of my holiday as my friends don’t arrive until Sunday night. I had considered the night dive but not thought about a dawn dive. Now I’m thinking I’ll fly fri night and head to tulamben to do both that w/e, before my friends arrive. I’m aware of how awful the traffic can be but I think this will work out well; I can’t wait! Could you recommend some of the good LDSs please? I’ll also check out Liberty Dive Resort.

C--At the risk of repetition, check with Wayan at Liberty Dive Resort. Great prices, free nitrox, quiet and a very well maintained smaller resort but it's their dive op that makes them outstanding. Just my two rupiahs worth but we are soon back there yet again (not soon enough!!) because it's always a bit like coming home. And no, we don't have any connection to LDR, we're just spoiled repeat divers! // ww

Liberty Dive Resort Tulamben Bali - Home Page

Stayed with LDR three times, quite happy diving with them, low guide to diver ratio, 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 mostly.
On the last two trips, we stayed at Puri madha. More affordable. Best location for diving at liberty. The dive shop is only few steps from entry point to liberty wreck.

Wisnu offers good advice, especially since you only have a day or two. LDR is maybe 100+m up off the beach from Puri Madha.

Diving the Liberty first thing or as a twilight/evening dive let's you avoid the day trippers being transported over from Denpasar and several other solid dive sites are walking distance away when the wreck gets busy. Bring hard soled booties, you will have rocky entries.

Consider this a practice run, you'll be back to Bali soon enough. (I mean what, it's like a 50 minute flight from CGK!!) // ww

I've taken your advice and booked myself 2 nights at LDR and have enquired about diving early in the morning and a night dive. It's a bit more than I'd wanted to spend on accommodation but I want to make the most of the time I have available to dive and this seems like a sensible option! I have hard soled boots anyway but thank you for the tip!
WW - it's a little longer sadly (1hr 50mins) but I won't complain at all!! Hoping to explore a lot more of the available dive sites in Indonesia while I'm here - there's plenty of them. Shame I'm not made of money though! :wink:

Have a great time! I'm headed to Padangbai next month. It will be my first time in the area. I'm diving with Geko.

One more great thing about LDR is you get to make your own schedule! Want to sleep in and do first dive at 10am no problem, want to do a early morning dive no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom