Where to harvest conch/lobster in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've stopped eating conch altogether... I might give up spiny lobster as well. I haven't hunted for them in years. Too many alternatives that are sustainable and taste just as good.

... I might give up spiny lobster as well.....Too many alternatives that are sustainable and taste just as good.

As for spiny lobster in FLA, we have the most healthy stock assessment from FWC & SEDAR of all the monitored fisheries. Last year we increased annual catch limits from 6.9mil lbs up to 9.2 mil lbs because our lobster stock is managed so well. Preliminary numbers for the 1st quarter of 2018 confirmed that even IRMA just pushed the numbers north and increased them. From a 'sustainability' standpoint, FLA lobster is approved from all the Eco organizations as a perferred table fair over other species.

Catch & Enjoy,,,,it's safe to do so.

As for spiny lobster in FLA, we have the most healthy stock assessment from FWC & SEDAR of all the monitored fisheries.
I told you that I stopped hunting them! Sheeesh! :D :D :D

Catch & Enjoy,,,,it's safe to do so.
Good to hear. It's been posited that the Lionfish has contributed to that. Lobstermen are targeting them as well as lobsters, easing the pressure just a tad.

Good to hear. It's been posited that the Lionfish has contributed to that. Lobstermen are targeting them as well as lobsters, easing the pressure just a tad.

I would likely agree with this, even though I photograph more than harvest. I would much rather eat the Lionfish, and promote that as well. Depending on preparation, Lionfish seem to be more sustainable, and almost have the same texture/taste (add; no season, no license, no limit, no issues with sustainability and prep being easy to mimic Florida Lobster), I would love to see a moratorium on Florida lobster, with emphasis put on harvesting Lionfish.

Actually, the meat is more tender, and easier than to prepare than Florida Spiny Lobster.

As I understand the queen conch shells can be collected if empty. Although not many shells will look nice from the ocean. Because as of now if I ever come across an empty whole shell regardless of how it looks I’m takin it.

There's nothing sadder than a naked Hermit Crab. :(

There's nothing sadder than a naked Hermit Crab. :(
Nothing moves faster for a new shell, either. I've only seen it once though.

That's really funny when you consider that the vast majority of conch for market come from offshore banks near Grenada and Trinidad. Saba Bank holds a lot too. It takes something on the order of 130 mature conch per acre to successfully reproduce, even though they are not broadcast spawners.

I cringe when I see conch fritters all over the menus in the Keys, as though conch were local. I guess it's the same principle as every seafood restaurant in the US serving Alaskan crab legs. I can think of more examples.

I cringe when I see conch fritters all over the menus in the Keys, as though conch were local. I guess it's the same principle as every seafood restaurant in the US serving Alaskan crab legs. I can think of more examples.
They aren’t really conch. At least not yellow Caribbean conch. They are a number of different species from Asia. About the only place you’re going to find conch is in conch ceviche (or conch salad as it’s known in the Bahamas) or as a conch steak.

They aren’t really conch.
Not surprised. I remember years ago when most of the scallops were really rays. I liked the taste either way. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom