New diver. Can I dive anywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom-
When you see a name like "Inlet"...that's often a crowded inlet channel. A lot of boating traffic, or fishermen on the rocks lining it. A fast tip-off that no one will be allowed in the water, diver or otherwise, because of that traffic. The water conditions in pretty much all of the NJ inlets also get outright dangerous if the tide and the wide are opposite each other, or in heavy weather of any kind. Currents and wave conditions get so bad that even the USCG does not send out SAR boats during storms, and swimmers/divers would be swept away in way less than that. Generally, if there's a one knot current? That's more than you can swim against, you'll need to be doing a drift dive.
It is also problematic if you are required to fly a dive flag and boats required to keep (100 feet?) away from it. I don't know what NJ law is about that, but the "keep away" radius makes diving unfeasible in any kind of narrow waterway, with two-way traffic requiring separation as well.
Sometimes you'll find "local beach diving" type booklets for sale, online or at dive shops. I know, everything is on the web these days, but the booklets are a great way to find dive spots too.

Some places are so off limits that if you dive them and are caught, your gear will be confiscated (in addition to any fine or ticket). Diving the Detroit River within the city limits of Detroit is one of those places.

The inlets of the FL panhandle are far from crowded in winter. Yet it is wise to not dive except at slack tide (preferable high) due to the very strong currents. Pretty much any inlet to a fairly large body of water will have raging currents except at slack tides--depending on the width of the inlet, of course. These NW FL inlets in winter do have the occasional boat, so the required flag is also just common sense. Don't think I'd be so quick to dive these during summer--lots of boat traffic, but I still believe diving is permitted.
Inlets are similar everywhere. Good examples of wicked current ones are Ocean City Inlet (MD) and Moriches and Shinnecock Inlets on L.I. in NY.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has asked if you are intending to be a solo diver while being newly certified. I do not recommend diving without a buddy (an experienced buddy) or a group with a dive master until you have passed a self reliant dive course.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has asked if you are intending to be a solo diver while being newly certified. I do not recommend diving without a buddy (an experienced buddy) or a group with a dive master until you have passed a self reliant dive course.
Agree about new diver with experienced buddy. As far as solo diving, experience and type of diving (including depth) COULD be as important or more important than the solo/self-reliant course. I solo dive very shallow (most times), and feel no need for a course (plus it's not available anywhere near here). If I were to do 100' dives I always have a buddy--or would find a way to take the course (still may not do such a dive alone--but many many do).
My first solo dive was dive #76, but that's probably irrelevant.

I plan on diving with some experienced locals around the area. I was just asking to get some insight on the laws and regulations.

There is no good shore diving off Tampa Bay. You can dive the sand off the beach, but all you'll find is low viz and boats and jets skis trying to decapitate you. Your best bet is to book a charter, buy a boat or make friends with people who own boats.

We have some amazing reefs here under 40 feet. Especially off Pasco County and the nature coast, all require a boat and a captain with experience and good numbers. One of the best kept secrets in Florida. It's just tough because the viz is hit or miss. I dove a reef off Hernando last week that was just gorgeous, loaded with coral, tunicates, gorgonians, and tropical fish. Unfortunately the water column was full of whale snot so we moved to deeper water. A month ago the water was clear.

Whale snot...? Really, seriously. Or is that a euphemism? How do you know, do you see it often?

Whale snot...? Really, seriously. Or is that a euphemism? How do you know, do you see it often?

Yeah, not literally... here's a current discussion.

Trip Report Out of JP 5/24/18 - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

attachment.php?attachmentid=238145&stc=1&d=1527259153.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom