Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, first post here.

Appealing to the great cumulative knowledge of this forum for any dive sites that feature WW2 airplane wreck(s) within AOW limits?

I'm traveling for the first time to the Philippines in June arriving in Manila and leaving from Cebu two weeks later. Been researching here (and elsewhere) for a while, but have only found either more "recent" planes / intentionally sunk or at tech depths only...

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Showa L2D Tabby(DC-3) in Subic Bay but it is in relative deep water >40m. Deep Dive specialty might be required by some operator.

Nakajima Ki43 in Coron

There is another one deep(75m) in Ormoc Bay but can't remember what it is!!

There are several M10 Tank destroyers also in deep water(40m+) in San Fernando(La Union).

Last edited:
I heard that they discovered a new WW2 plane wreck somewhere in Coron last year. Not sure if its open to the diving public though.

The Tabby is a great dive... and you can also visit a Japanese patrol boat, a US freighter that was sunk just after the war, and several other places. While many people complain about the viz in Subic, there are good and bad days... just like any other site. Personal preference for the operator: Arizona Dive Shop... been diving there for 6+ years. I've also tried a few other places, but Arizona has the best overall operation that I've experienced there.
When will you be here? (I live in Manila and am in Subic frequently.) If you look on YouTube, you'll see several videos from Arizona dives... worth a look, and worth considering!

Showa L2D Tabby(DC-3) in Subic Bay but it is in relative deep water >40m. Deep Dive specialty might be required by some operator.

Nakajima Ki43 in Coron

There is another one deep(75m) in Ormoc Bay but can't remember what it is!!

There are several M10 Tank destroyers also in deep water(40m+) in San Fernando(La Union).

Great info, thanks Centrals.
That Nakajima video is awesome. Together with a couple of (ship)wreck dives and the island scenery, it seems worth going to Coron for few days between Manila and the Visayas...

The Tabby is a great dive... and you can also visit a Japanese patrol boat, a US freighter that was sunk just after the war, and several other places. While many people complain about the viz in Subic, there are good and bad days... just like any other site. Personal preference for the operator: Arizona Dive Shop... been diving there for 6+ years. I've also tried a few other places, but Arizona has the best overall operation that I've experienced there.
When will you be here? (I live in Manila and am in Subic frequently.) If you look on YouTube, you'll see several videos from Arizona dives... worth a look, and worth considering!

Thanks for the tips Rich,
I'll be there during the first two weeks of June.
Mulling over whether to spend the first one either in Luzon, PG or Coron, so Subic is a possibility

Howdy,

There are 3 aircraft we dive here often in (or near) Subic Bay and only one is WW2 era and that being the "Tabby" (DC-3), mentioned in the above posts, that is inverted at 42m. The plane sits as stated inverted and in pretty much one piece with damage to the nose and cockpit section. The fabric on the control surfaces has since rotted away, but the framework is still intact. The Tabby requires a Deep Specialty Certification.

The even more popular aircraft dive is a Douglas Skyraider at 36m. This one is estimated to have been built in 1949 and crashed in the bay in 1962. It sits "pretty" flying across the seabed, cannons intact and with all the instruments. There is a parachute pack still in the aft section. The Skyraider is an ok dive at the Advanced Level as an experienced diver.

The 3rd and less often dove, (due to location and depth) is the McDonald Douglas F4 Phantom outside of the bay. It sits around 40m and requires a Deep Certification.

Something you may want to consider is your Deep Certification if you choose to dive these wrecks. Adding in the cost of the course with the 4 dives vs just 4 dives is not that much more and the course lasts 2 days....AND you have more training and another certification that allows you even more dive adventures.

Note: Subic is a wreck diver paradise. If you are into wrecks, especially historical wrecks, you will be in heaven. It is also super easy to get here from Manila and there is a lot of choices in accommodations. Plus, the trip can be as cheap or expensive as you would want it to be.

If you have any questions about diving Subic Bay, the Subic area, transportation, or visiting the Philippines in general, please give me a hollar. I am happy to help. I am an American and live here.

Cheers Ken

SkyRaider.jpg

I dived Subic Bay a couple of years ago, weather wasn't fantastic and visibility poor, however we did a dive on the Tabby (44m) and the Skyraider (36m).

The plan was also to dive the F4 Phantom airframe but it sits outside of Subic Bay and weather was not good for this dive as well as on the A2 Savage which sits at 70m, which would have required some longer deco time in rather choppy conditions.

Tailplane of the Tabby

full

Landing gear

full

Cockpit

full

The Skyraider is shallower and had a fair bit of macro life on it too.

full

Cockpit

full

Back
Top Bottom