Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a 10 day dive trip in Raja Ampat and had the same failure on my AL Legend ACD first state. When tank pressure got low (around 1000 psi) one breath on the second stage would reduce the pressure to zero. Over the next 10 seconds it would gradually build up to pressure again. I was at 70 feet when it first happened. I carefully tested to the problem on the next 4 dives and was able to repeat the problem on each dive. My reg is less than two years and only used for <100 dives. It is straight from the factory, not serviced anywhere. This is a dangerous problem.

Did you get the recall notice? My LDS sends me all SCUBA related equipment recall notices, and they don't even carry Aqualung. I would recommend to anyone who does not get annual inspections/servicing of their regs to keep up on potential recalls. I very much like my LDS, and they also know my regs only get serviced when there is a problem. I expect every customer that gives them an email address gets the same notification, but some days I like to think they are just worried about MY well being.:wink:

This is from the Aqualung website:

Products affected::
Aqua Lung Regulators with a serial number lower than H043301. Yoke only models of the Legend ACD, Core ACD & Titan LX ACD that have not had an annual or other service.

Last edited:
I just got back from a 10 day dive trip in Raja Ampat and had the same failure on my AL Legend ACD first state. When tank pressure got low (around 1000 psi) one breath on the second stage would reduce the pressure to zero. Over the next 10 seconds it would gradually build up to pressure again. I was at 70 feet when it first happened. I carefully tested to the problem on the next 4 dives and was able to repeat the problem on each dive. My reg is less than two years and only used for <100 dives. It is straight from the factory, not serviced anywhere. This is a dangerous problem.

You should take it in and have it serviced or at least inspected given the recall. How scary!

I have a Legend LX and have had about 120 dives on it. I’ve had one annual inspection and come May or June am due for a service. Thankfully, I haven’t had the issue yet and my LDS did check to ensure it was torqued correctly.

The mechanics of the ACD have been discussed at length, on this and other threads. It is a very good device, and will fail in a safe mode.

The recall only affects yoke units.

Without disparaging the posters who had issues, what happens is if the yoke Nut is loose, there is enough contact to allow a seal between the yoke and the cylinder, however is clearly not enough to open the valve completely, thus a combination of low tank pressure and depth means it cannot deliver air.

While it could be argued this is a design flaw, my issue here is that for this to happen the yoke would need to be so loose it would (should) be apparent when you hold the yoke before putting it on a tank.

There comes a point where the user has to have some self responsibility to check their own equipment prior to diving. In the case above the poster had an issue then dived 3 more times without taking a cursory look. I don't know is they assembled their own kit or allowed the dive team to do it, either way the responsibility must fall on the individual to give the gear a once over. It's not difficult and you don't need to be a reg service tech to spot if your Yoke is loose

The mechanics of the ACD have been discussed at length, on this and other threads. It is a very good device, and will fail in a safe mode.

The recall only affects yoke units.

Without disparaging the posters who had issues, what happens is if the yoke Nut is loose, there is enough contact to allow a seal between the yoke and the cylinder, however is clearly not enough to open the valve completely, thus a combination of low tank pressure and depth means it cannot deliver air.

While it could be argued this is a design flaw, my issue here is that for this to happen the yoke would need to be so loose it would (should) be apparent when you hold the yoke before putting it on a tank.

There comes a point where the user has to have some self responsibility to check their own equipment prior to diving. In the case above the poster had an issue then dived 3 more times without taking a cursory look. I don't know is they assembled their own kit or allowed the dive team to do it, either way the responsibility must fall on the individual to give the gear a once over. It's not difficult and you don't need to be a reg service tech to spot if your Yoke is loose

Yoke nut coming loose on its own for this many people???? This is a more serious flaw than the ACD issue. I don't remember a Yoke nut coming loose on its own in my decades of diving, owning an LDS, teaching diving, running dive center/school EVER!!

Last edited:
Yoke nut coming loose on its own for this many people???? This is a more serious flaw than the ACD issue. I don't remember a Yoke nut coming loose on its own in my decades of diving, owning an LDS, teaching diving, running dive center/school EVER!!

How many people exactly? Do you know?

How is the use of a thread and nut a design flaw? its a standard fixing used on everybody's regs, indeed I suspect it's a standard brought in part.

Yes the fact it's not been tightened correctly is an issue, to which they responded by issuing a Voluntary Product Check.
The fact remains and is ignored, that users don't clearly are blindly using their regs with a loose yoke. It will wobble when handled and not feel right, the most basic of pre-use checks will spot this. But clearly users are blindly assembling their gear without the most basic of checks

Sounds like to me they had a foolproof regulator design like the Conshelf's that didn't need servicing until it had a minor creep or free flow that needed overhauling every three or four years. Now they are able to freeze up and kill someone so you have to overhaul them yearly. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

How many people exactly? Do you know?

Enough to warrant a recall??? Have you ever heard of a recall for loose Yoke nut recall from other mfg.?

How is the use of a thread and nut a design flaw? its a standard fixing used on everybody's regs, indeed I suspect it's a standard brought in part.

How often do you hear about an issue like this, loose Yoke nut, happening to brand new regulators out of their box??

It happens, I had the same issue with a new Apeks FSR and a new Cousteau.

I've never had a yoke nut come loose on any of my Conshelfs.

Back
Top Bottom