Sanitizing BCD bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

these tabs don't degrade the material and will make your BCD safe to drink from...

Geeze...I thought just the Vodka in the BCD Martinis (obviously shaken, not stirred) would do that....

Last edited:
With all the salt, they should be BCD Margueritas. :D :D :D

Agreed...IF.... you are diving in water salty enough to not insult your Margueritas. (assuming your margaritas prefer salt).

Last edited:
Rinse with fresh water, dry. You are not breathing out of it. The sterilizing chemicals will do harm. If used perfectly only a little, if done wrong (and it probably will be and not even know it) a lot of harm. Best not to subject the bladder to such harsh substances.

Still feel you need something besides water? OK, use this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O7696C/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

i use listerine every couple of years...

I can think of one reason to sanitize a BCD bladder. If you find yourself in an out of gas situation, and the only thing between you and certain death is the gas remaining in your BCD. I've read where divers have breathed that gas and gotten sick and even died because of the bacteria that populate the bladder of a BCD. But if it's cleaned and sanitized? Those extra breaths in that BCD bladder just might be a lifesaver.

I can think of one reason to sanitize a BCD bladder. If you find yourself in an out of gas situation, and the only thing between you and certain death is the gas remaining in your BCD. I've read where divers have breathed that gas and gotten sick and even died because of the bacteria that populate the bladder of a BCD. But if it's cleaned and sanitized? Those extra breaths in that BCD bladder just might be a lifesaver.

if you know how to do it properly without killing yourself in the process... Proper gas planning and buddy diving will usually mitigate the need for such extreme actions

Hi

I have read that steramine is used to sanitize the BCD bladder. I cannot find it in my country (Norway) and I am hoping someone know of a similar product I can use.

StarSan is available here but I don't know if it is recomended to use.

Thanks

Thomas
just fresh water works perfect

just fresh water works perfect

Fresh water does NOT adequately sanitize a BCD. It might make it clean enough for it's intended use but it does not kill the micro organisms that live in the anaerobic environment within the confines of a BCD bladder.

breathing from a bc?? yea plan youre gas better...... no need for all that.

Back
Top Bottom