Regulator not delivering enough air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- not a good assumption....

Since you don't have testing equipment, try the "bucket check". Take a bucket of water, and, with the regulator charged, very slowly lower it, mouthpiece up, into the bucket. Some of the mouthpiece should still be out of the water when it begins to flow. If not, the tune is not so good.....
I have done the bucket test, sort of.... It starts to free flow before the mouth piece is in the water, I didn't measure how deep that was though

It sounds like you were not happy with the flow rate of the previous regulator. Rather than two different regulators not being well tuned maybe the problem is the demands that you are putting on them. Are your dives high exertion ones? Are you a somewhat anxious diver?
My dives are mostly easy low exertion dives, I'm a relatively competent diver with reasonable air consumption (usually end the dive with more air than most divers around me). I don't think I'm an anxious diver, I'm very comfortable in the water overall.

So I don't see any reason that my demands are high and I know that the regulator is delivering enough air to keep me alive regardless of how hard I have to fin but it feels like smy lungs can take more air than what I am getting out of the regulator even when taking long slow breaths.

Unless specifically instructed by the owner (some tech guys don't want anyone tuning their regs, new ones especially), every reg I sell gets assembled and bench tested before it gets shipped. When servicing my usual practice is bench test and then take them to the pool for an hour or so to break them in a little more. Adds a day or two to the turnaround but no one has elected to have me not do that, since there is no extra charge for the service.
Most manufacturers recommend the shop check new regs and test them before handing them over to a customer. Never assume from the factory they are right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom