Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gavannn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys!

Am new to this forum. Signed up to request for some help. Hope some kind souls will be able to assist :)

I am in the market for a budget strobe setup. Came across what seems a good deal for the D-2000 type 3.

Between type 3 and 4, what are the differences? From what i read, "D-2000 Type 4 successfully amplifies receiving optical signal from the slave sensor 20 times more comparing to previous D-2000 Type 3 to provide wireless S-TTL Auto mode without using a fiber optics with optional Wireless Connection Kit". I intend to shoot with a Olympus e-m5 mark 1 with TTL via fiber optic cable. Will the type 3 work for me?

Also, a battery overheating/discharging issue? I intend to use Panasonic Eneloops, are they safe for operation?

Lastly, focus light overheating. How bad an issue is this?

Any other issues with the Type 3 that i may need to know, please help too! Thank you!

Sources:
Inon D-2000 S-TTL Underwater Strobe
INON Information

Hi Gavann
There are a few subtle differences between the Type 1 (older) throught to Type 4 (newer) Inon strobes. The ones of importance are:
  1. The Sensor on the bottom of the strobe varies in physical size, the earlier models have a larger diameter "glass" block that the sensors are set inside of, the later models have a smaller diameter "glass" block (which is more sensitive and requires lower levels of flash power from the camera to trigger the Inon strobe) . The only difference in use, is you will need the correct size fitting on your fiber optic cable to attach on the strobe end. Other than that no impact.
  2. The Focusing Light started in the version 1 as an incadescent globe that wasn't too bright and used a fair amount of battery power. The newer models progressed through more efficient LED globes that use less battery power. This change has absolutely no impact on using the strobe itself, just better and more efficient focus lighting and battery consumption.
  3. The batteries that are suited to using with the Inon strobes has moved from almost any battery with the version 1, through to almost exclusive use of Sanyo (now Panasonic) ENELOOP batteries on all of the later models. This came about when Ni-Cad and NiMah battery manufacturers started producing higher and higher capacity batteries (higher current capacity), With the result that if these high capacity batteries were used in the earlier model strobes, AND high speed images were shot using the strobes, the strobe overheated and cooked the electronics. If Eneloop batteries are used in any of the range of Inon strobes, you will not have problems with the strobe due to oveheating. Also a personal observation: If you don't shoot multiple rapid fire strobe photos, you will possibly never have issues with your Inon strobes. Every failure I have seen is due to heat build up by people rapidly firing their strobes without giivng them time to cool down between a series of shots. My own strobes (Inon Z220 - predecessor to the Inon Z240) were purchased in 2002 (that's right 15 years ago) and they have been used a LOT since then and are still working just fine!
Hope this helps clarify the differences?

thank you very much for your reply reefwalker. indeed that would've answered all the questions i had. however i had since bought a SnS YS-01 instead. hope this thread will benefit others in future nonetheless. cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom