Weight system for BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I experimented and found that I could control a 60'/minute (standard at the time) ascent pretty easily dropping up to 10Kg/22Lbs. I would use that same rate anytime an emergency ascent significant enough to drop lead was warranted. The point is not that 10Kg is the magic number. Divers need to experiment in shallow water to find their upper limit for themselves and develop to techniques to control ascent... during an emergency ascent is NOT the time to do it.

dry or wet? Much easier to do in a drysuit than a wetsuit. Not saying it can't be done, I know I can do it, but it requires flaring all the way out and it's not an ascent that you can arrest if you had to

I wear just enough weight on my weightbelt to descend with a completely empty wing. I can swim up from depth without air in the wing if necessary but have never needed to. If I ever did have to ditch weight I could pull my harness buckle to remove my crotch and then release my weightbelt. There is nothing wrong with using a weightbelt with a BP/W.

A weight belt should be worn under the harness. If the belt should come off accidentally it gets caught on the crotch strap so you don't go rocketing to the surface. You need to grip ione end and rotate to clear the strap. It is not a difficult procedure.

Besides the advice all ready given I will offer up the following suggestions.

1) Leave it alone and tell them in a true emergency just cut the webbing on the crotch strap if gets caught and cannot be removed.

2) If you don't scooter, put a quick release on the crotch strap.

I do not like the DUI harness. The concept is sound but it is a PITA to reassemble it one the weights have been pulled. A better solution is buying suspenders for your weight belt and adding quick release pockets to that. Find pockets that attach with a triglide not the ones that attach to the plate or require special mounting.

I have a BP&W set up and love using it. I have had no problems up until now with diving with a weightbelt ( with about 8-10kg worn under the harness) and 2 IST pockets on the belt with 3Kg in each of ditchable weight.

I am now diving with a new group and some of their divers have expressed concerns at the configurations with the view that they would not be able to easily ditch the weight in the event of an emergency. My view is that the removal of the pocket weight would make me positively buoyant. They would like to see a different set up though.

I have tried the belt over the harness and found it to be a pain as it is more liable to slip (particularly since I changed to a drysuit the belt is moving a lot more than it ever did with a wetsuit).

Anyone got good experience with a weight harness worn under a BP&W harness? If so what particular type?

Find a new group. These guys don't sound very competent if they can't figure out how to ditch a weight belt under the crotch strap. You cut the crotch strap and ditch the belt. Better yet if that is actually the weight you need there is no need to get rid of the belt. Dump the weight in the pockets. I'd also move some of that weight to the cam bands. You should only need to drop 1-2 kilos in order to get and stay positive. More than that and you might be a tad overweighted.

Hi - This is Kathy Long with DUI. I came across your post. The Weight & Trim System is awesome and of course not for everyone. I actually got an email today from Don P "One of my best purchases in a while. I've been in this sport for 33 years. Balances my weights on me very well and gets them out of my BCD making my rig much lighter. Thanks"

Just a quick tip - if you do pull the pocket to release it, remove the weight before re-attaching. One year at DEMA we had people pull and re-string the pockets to enter a drawing. We literally re-strung the pocket hundreds of times. It's not the most fun I've ever had :wink:

Also please be very careful and thoughtful if you do decide to make a system yourself.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom