Fins: Mares X-stream vs. ScubaPro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really a good reason in particular. A dive buddy rented the scubapros novas and I could barely keep up with him kicking normally, he was pretty impressed by them. As for the mares X-streams they seemed fairly similar and are going for $70 at scubastore.com which seemed like a good deal. Sounds like these two fins mainly focus on forward propulsion.

I mainly shore dive in Monterey which has a fair amount of swell. I'll do decently long swims trudging through kelp and usually can feel some cramping starting on the swim in after the second dive . Some extra forward propulsion would be nice.

I also do underwater photography/videography. Better control and steering to get into position for a shot would be really desirable. These fins don't seem to provide that.

Is there a style of fins that would be a good balance for both of these?

it all depends on how strong your legs are and how efficient your kicking is. Most people don't work out in a pool with their fins on which can cause cramps when doing long swims. This can be made worse if you have an inefficient kick, or inefficient fins. On the other side of that, the efficient fins require quite a bit of power to move through the water and if your legs aren't in shape, will cause cramps. Best thing for this is to switch up your kick styles for a little bit to relieve any issues while your muscles acclimate.

Personally, I would get the Dive Rite XT or Deep6 Eddy fins for what you're after. Completely different style of fin, but both will be faster than either of the two that you listed provided your legs can keep up. You'll also have better control when trying to take pictures with both of these fins than either of the two listed, especially the Scubapro

A good way to avoid leg cramps is to alternate kicking styles. Frog kick alternating with flutter kick is pretty effective. Hinged fins such as the X-Streams or Novas are not as efficient for the frog kick, hence my recommendation for standard blade style fins.
I dive in Monterey every year just after Christmas, and enjoy swimming through some of the kelp. It's handy to have a few alternate kicking styles under your belt for maneuvering between rocks and kelp stalks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom