Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a violation of county ordinance to spearfish inside any Palm Beach county park waters.
Clicked on the link.. and way on the bottom is the text regarding the commercial collection of tropicals.. Good to know. I know of one person who used to launch the boat at the ramp, drive around and collect... nice to know they can't do that.
"Commercial activity, including the harvesting of tropical fish, is not permitted within County park property unless authorized by the Director or Assistant Director of the Parks and Recreation Department. No commercial harvesting of tropical fish is currently authorized"

And this from the same link
Use of knives or spear guns to capture fish in County park waters is not permitted.

A pole spear is not technically a gun.. and you might be able to use a LF spear if ONLY for LF

Carrying a pole spear is considered spearfishing unless it is, for example, secured in a vessel. There is no prohibition against recreational collection of tropicals at the location.

Correct, however it is highly discouraged.

View media item 201899
i-BX3vzBc

So, I guess I was in violation of the law when I took this guy out with my muck stick. ;-)

.. is not permitted within County park property....
Scuba_Jenny, you know I love yaa like a sister. But the county is publishing their regulations for ONLY THE LAND they own. This is where everyone gets confused and misled. The county owns the beach, parking lot, ramps and even the land ONLY under the water column. But the county DOES NOT own the water column above the land and has no jurisdiction. The water column is State owned and governed by the FWC. They are correct that the FWC says no spearguns within 300 feet of public beaches, bridges & Jetty's. So if you come by boat and not physically touch county soil a diver can still polespear lionfish for instance. The important thing to distinguish is the county doesn't own the water column, the state does. The county is publishing their rules. What they don't publish is the fact they don't own the water column and the state does.

And for disclosure even though I'm an avid spearo, I don't hunt at BHB. Like everyone else, I believe that it is such a unique treasure that shouldn't get ruined. I often practice my camera work there, I'll hunt in the ocean.

And this from the same link
Use of knives or spear guns to capture fish in County park waters is not permitted.

A pole spear is not technically a gun.. and you might be able to use a LF spear if ONLY for LF

It says capture fish, I don't want to capture the lionfish, I just want to kill it :).

Went diving yesterday with vis of 10 to 15 feet on east side. We heard vis on west side was a lot nicer. Heading out again today.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom