Madeira Beach, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I mean are things like child A died of genetic disease, and living child B and C would have this same genetic defect. I forget how that gets handled, but it was an example given to me once about how things can be a problem.

John, everyone, you're scaring me with this compressor-flashover stuff.....
Hello my friend,,,The others covered the answers to you.

But I still get divers who say " It's so low a risk, why bother "

And I ask them.." Do you wear your seat belt every time you drive?" And when the answer is YES,,,,, I say WHY????

However, the husband is still alive, so HIPAA may put a crimp in releasing the analyses. ...

In Florida, the medical examiner's testing records fall under the sunshine laws and are public record once finalized by the M.E ~ 8 weeks. This is a high profile case and I'd bet local media will put in the request to follow up, but anyone can submit the request. The real question is who filled the tanks and are there more tanks filled out there that haven't been dove yet ? Test or die isn't a difficult choice.

Wouldn't a CO event happen relatively quickly?

I think you guys are overthinking this. The most obvious explanation on the male is that he passed out from exhaustion once the CG arrived, and his adrenaline levels stabilized. CPR can be exhausting, especially if you're working on someone you know, which will amp your emotional state through the roof as well.

The female's state could be caused by almost anything. Drowning, medical unrelated to dive issues, rapid ascent, allergic reaction, exhaustion, and so on.

I'm not trying to stop the CO discussion, as it's always worth discussing, I'm just pointing out a simpler, more likely (imo) explanation for the incident.

Not necessarily, especially at shallow depths.

But you are correct in the rest of your post as there are other possible causes for both the husband and wife to be affected.

I think you guys are overthinking this. The most obvious explanation on the male is that he passed out from exhaustion once the CG arrived, and his adrenaline levels stabilized. CPR can be exhausting, especially if you're working on someone you know, which will amp your emotional state through the roof as well.

The female's state could be caused by almost anything. Drowning, medical unrelated to dive issues, rapid ascent, allergic reaction, exhaustion, and so on.

I'm not trying to stop the CO discussion, as it's always worth discussing, I'm just pointing out a simpler, more likely (imo) explanation for the incident.
There's certainly other possibilities, but I think he's still in the hospital. that doesn't happen from exhaustion.

And the report said both suffered a diving injury.

There's certainly other possibilities, but I think he's still in the hospital. that doesn't happen from exhaustion.

And the report said both suffered a diving injury.

CO exposure would require a transfusion, but I doubt we'll get any level of detail regarding treatment. If he passed out from a CO event, they likely would have to do CPR to keep him alive, but without a transfusion, the O2 is not going to get where it needs to be. Also, his PPCO would be MUCH more likely to kill/incapacitate at 30ft than it would be on the surface.

Not saying it didn't happen though.

Also, his PPCO would be MUCH more likely to kill/incapacitate at 30ft than it would be on the surface.
That is somewhat true, but there is more to it than just that. CO hits while diving are made worse by surfacing, even tho that is the only chance of survival. CO binds to a divers blood and tends to remain as he ascends while PPO decreases.

That is somewhat true, but there is more to it than just that. CO hits while diving are made worse by surfacing, even tho that is the only chance of survival. CO binds to a divers blood and tends to remain as he ascends while PPO decreases.

Ahh yes, I forgot the PPO2 drop!

Something was nagging at me at the back of my mind, but I couldn't figure it out. I was focusing on the descent. Thanks!

I hope we get some more answers to this. 5 miles off the beach is likely a max depth of 20-30 feet. I dont want to speculate too much, but if no other explanations are given regarding their injuries, I hope authorities test their gas. A little too close to home.

She was snorkeling, he was diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom