Which cave has killed the most divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure. Now that a lot of people have had the chance to interpret this question and respond to it based on their personal interpretation I can tell you what prompted the thread.

I am helping someone co-write / re-write a movie script. The hero of the story is an old mountain climbing legend who is recovering from an alcohol problem. He is sponsored by a millionaire Presidential candidate to climb K-2, the killer mountain as part of a reality show. He does not understand why he has been chosen since he is an out of shape alcoholic but he is told that they want someone to die up there to generate ratings. The challenge motivates him to fight his alcohol addiction and he springs back in shape to go up there and live.

When the expedition begins he finds out that his real mission isn't to reach the top but to locate the dead body of a climber who died on Abruzzi spur and recover a map from him. This map then leads to the rest of the story which I am not going to mention.

In short script has potential but in order for it to work, the sequences needed to be shot in Pakistan at the real location of K-2 on Abruzzi spur. The problem is that K-2 is not an ideal location to film because while the military operation has eliminated a lot of Taliban militancy, safety of the film crew can not be guaranteed. Government is also hanging by the thread so filming the action sequences in Abruzzi spur may not be possible.We have the option of looking for a different mountain but other candidates (including Everest) are no where near as scary as K2 "The Killer Mountain." Only the best of the best climbers attempt to climb K-2 and one in four of them die.

I was looking for way to re-invent the script so that the cinematic situation changes to something more do-able. As a passing thought the screen writer flirted with the idea of replacing mountain with a submerged cave and the mountain climber being a cave diver. The producer and the studio interested in producing this want a real cave that has killed people. In other words "Killer Mountain" must be replaced by "Killer Cave" if there is such a thing and it must be a real place just like K-2 is a real mountain.

This is why I asked if Cave Diving has an equivalent of K-2 and since a direct comparison would not make sense I kept my question open to interpretation. Let people read into it and write whatever comes into their minds.
Jiminey Christmas.

Killer cave? Come on dude.

Lets rephrase the question.

What cave has had the most cave divers in it who had fun and returned unscathed to the surface?

There is no cave equivalent to K2, especially in terms of a combination of difficulty and number of deaths.

True dat :popcorn:

Sure. Now that a lot of people have had the chance to interpret this question and respond to it based on their personal interpretation I can tell you what prompted the thread.

I am helping someone co-write / re-write a movie script. The hero of the story is an old mountain climbing legend who is recovering from an alcohol problem. He is sponsored by a millionaire Presidential candidate to climb K-2, the killer mountain as part of a reality show. He does not understand why he has been chosen since he is an out of shape alcoholic but he is told that they want someone to die up there to generate ratings. The challenge motivates him to fight his alcohol addiction and he springs back in shape to go up there and live.

When the expedition begins he finds out that his real mission isn't to reach the top but to locate the dead body of a climber who died on Abruzzi spur and recover a map from him. This map then leads to the rest of the story which I am not going to mention.

In short script has potential but in order for it to work, the sequences needed to be shot in Pakistan at the real location of K-2 on Abruzzi spur. The problem is that K-2 is not an ideal location to film because while the military operation has eliminated a lot of Taliban militancy, safety of the film crew can not be guaranteed. Government is also hanging by the thread so filming the action sequences in Abruzzi spur may not be possible.We have the option of looking for a different mountain but other candidates (including Everest) are no where near as scary as K2 "The Killer Mountain." Only the best of the best climbers attempt to climb K-2 and one in four of them die.

I was looking for way to re-invent the script so that the cinematic situation changes to something more do-able. As a passing thought the screen writer flirted with the idea of replacing mountain with a submerged cave and the mountain climber being a cave diver. The producer and the studio interested in producing this want a real cave that has killed people. In other words "Killer Mountain" must be replaced by "Killer Cave" if there is such a thing and it must be a real place just like K-2 is a real mountain.

This is why I asked if Cave Diving has an equivalent of K-2 and since a direct comparison would not make sense I kept my question open to interpretation. Let people read into it and write whatever comes into their minds.

Idiotic.

Thank you!

Show him something shiny and he will chase after that instead of his persisting with attempts to demonize a real cave in our back yard. I'm pretty sure that Egypt can handle him in spite of his avatar...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom