Which cave has killed the most divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Stoo and @northernone the cave did actually cause the Parker Turner accident due to cave in, and there have been a handful of others way back when, but they are very rare.

Ginnie and/or Peacock would probably be able to make that claim, but we have to remember that they are arguably the most trafficked caves in Florida, so are you just counting number of deaths, or are you normalizing against number of dives? If you normalize, Ginnie and Peacock are probably very low on the list because of the amount of dives that happen

@Storker it's probably because the media is squawking about how Eagles Nest has claimed 10 or so divers lives and it's dangerous and needs to be closed. Which is ridiculous...

it's probably because the media is squawking about how Eagles Nest has claimed 10 or so divers lives and it's dangerous and needs to be closed. Which is ridiculous...
I'd probably have to don an asbestos suit If I ever spoke my unfiltered opinion in here about some (cave) dives I've heard about. Still, I won't dream about disagreeing with you here.

That said, there's a thin and very fuzzy line between allowing for personal responsibility and the public imposing restrictions. The Plura cave was closed for diving while the two dead Finns were stuck down there. I didn't have a problem with that, but I probably would have a problem with a permanent ban on diving there. Looking at other sports, a few places over here have been closed for BASE jumping due to the large number of fatalities. Not so much for the number of people killing themselves, but rather due to the unacceptable risk imposed on the rescue teams who have had to recover too many bodies. And this year, the number of stupid tourists needing rescue because they grossly overestimated their abilities and - just as grossly - underestimated the challenges of a 10-hour hike covering some 1000m elevation has lead to a discussion about closing the trails. Not so much from concern for the idjits, but rather because it puts an unacceptable load on the rescue teams and pulls resources away from other rescue operations.

IMO it's just impossible to have a clear opinion in these cases. The issue is just too complex for simple answers.

I can tell you that more people have died flying on B747's than any other aircraft type. But no-one suggests banning flying or grounding the 747 fleet.

I spent 10 years on aircraft recovery and accident investigation and yes attended the big ones often within hours.

Of course you can't van flying because it would be an inconvenience for too many.

The media love to bang their drum on a subject which appears to be in the public interest as long it doesn't affect too many people.

Yes because of my time on ACI I have a personal loathing for the media, the lies they spin and the BS from so called paid experts

Kind of like asking what model of gun has killed the most people. And for all of the same reasons.

Alright so let me rephrase the question for the sake of political correctness. "In which cave have most divers lost their lives?" I am sure that caves who are logging on to read this will not feel discriminated or hurt.:surrender:

I think you are entirely missing the point of these objections.

As a 'TV journalist and Documentary film maker' captainsimbad you understand sensational headlines make good news stories, but among divers it tends to rub us the wrong way.

Anyway, why the curiosity?

Alright so let me rephrase the question for the sake of political correctness. "In which cave have most divers lost their lives?" I am sure that caves who are logging on to read this will not feel discriminated or hurt.:surrender:
This has nothing to do with political correctness. Rephrasing the question doesn't change what you're asking. As already stated, the answer doesn't tell you anything.
You probably wanna know what's the most dangerous cave. That's probably what you should have asked.

You probably wanna know what's the most dangerous cave. That's probably what you should have asked.

Only if more people lost their lives in "the most dangerous cave"--whatever that may mean--than any other cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom