Planning a dive with friend that is paralyzed from waist down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica Anderson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a friend that's interested in diving. I was looking to show him the relief off Delray in south FL:

delray-e1447723631707.jpg

If you have dived this you know how nice it is!
The challenge is that he is paralyzed from the waist down.
Some of the things I'm considering are:
- How to get him on and off the boat at the dock
- What kind of boat would be easiest
- How to get him back in the boat after the dive
- I'm assuming I'd need to get a scooter for underwater??

Thanks for any advice you can give!

come pay a visit to Stuart Scuba (www.stuartscuba.com). the owners and several staff members are SDI Scubility Certified Instructors.

The charter Sea Experience in Fort Lauderdale has lots of experience with disabled divers. They host SUDS every year and their staff is great.

A while ago the dive shop I was with did a special handicapped diving day. For a diver who was also paralyzed waist-down, we used a pair of these webbed gloves (with rubber webbing like on a frog's hand). They were quite effective, if there was no strong current. And definitely cheaper than a scooter!

My hat is off to those of you who "make it happen" so our Wounded Warriors and other physically challenged people can learn and enjoy scuba diving. I think it is fantastic that so many divers are so willing to help others overcome some very large challenges to participate in this wonderful sport. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom