Why are lights prohibited at some dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving in true open water, lights are useless because there is nothing for them to flash against.

Up here in the NE - you need to carry a dive light during day light diving. So I would argue this point. Viz is dark and if you are poking around looking for lobster or just looking you need a dive light in OW... :D

If you are in the water column going up to the boat or down to the wreck - maybe you dont need it - but you need to have a dive light.

I can see the wife's dive light in the mucky lake water we dive in... All dive sites are not equal....:wink:

Jim....

Back to the original OP’s statement of: ‘If the site does not have a cave/cavern then I don't see a point in disallowing lights’.
Which is a legitimate question, why? Is there an actual reason or is a bureaucrat hiding behind a one size fits all rule.

this is quite simply a CYOA policy for those dive sites. Not allowing lights except for cave divers removes the temptation for OW divers to "poke their head in" and helps cover them in case people decide to sue after an incident. Nothing more.

The comment about light signaling during the day is really not valid because if you need to use a light to get someones attention, then you aren't diving in a proper buddy team in that environment, so you need to adjust your diving habits. Simple as that unfortunately. One fin kick away from your buddy for touch contact, nothing more. If you are diving in true open water, lights are useless because there is nothing for them to flash against.

Oh right - I forgot people like to sue over anything even if they were not involved and it was the victims stupidity that killed them. That makes sense.

You make a good point about actual open water in daytime though - pretty sure a light wouldn't work there.

Up here in the NE - you need to carry a dive light during day light diving. So I would argue this point. Viz is dark and if you are poking around looking for lobster or just looking you need a dive light in OW... :D

If you are in the water column going up to the boat or down to the wreck - maybe you dont need it - but you need to have a dive light.

i understand this, however the florida state parks in question are bath tub clear and the lights aren't used for signaling or trying to find delicious sea-going cockroaches. If you want to see a perfect example of this, look up the Wayne's World/School Sink litigation going on where two divers lied to get access to the cave, both died, and now the widow is suing the owner of the cave. It's fun stuff

i understand this, however the florida state parks in question are bath tub clear and the lights aren't used for signaling or trying to find delicious sea-going cockroaches. If you want to see a perfect example of this, look up the Wayne's World/School Sink litigation going on where two divers lied to get access to the cave, both died, and now the widow is suing the owner of the cave. It's fun stuff

Although I understand your point - I have dove at the BHB (under the bridge) in Riviera Beach and on the Vandenberg in Key West - both times I used a dive light going from the crystal clear water to darkened areas that a light was needed IMO - again in OW but intentionally looking for areas to explore.

Although I understand your point - I have dove at the BHB (under the bridge) in Riviera Beach and on the Vandenberg in Key West - both times I used a dive light going from the crystal clear water to darkened areas that a light was needed IMO - again in OW but intentionally looking for areas to explore.

you still don't get it. The state parks in questions are areas that have caves. They don't want divers in the caves that aren't cave divers, ergo, no lights, no temptation to go in the caves. I am not aware of any sites that don't allow dive lights that don't have caves attached to them. Many have very beautiful cavern and open water areas teeming with wildlife so they work well for open water divers, but the caves are there and because of the absurd amount of idiotic OW divers and instructors that have died in the caves, it is easier and infinitely safer to just ban lights from non-cave divers.

To my knowledge rule isn't in place in areas like a beach, in the ocean, or BHB where there aren't caves, only the areas where many OW divers like to dive and there happens to be a cave underneath it. Perfect example is at Ginnie. In the ballroom, lights are allowed for all divers because the entrance to the cave has a grate permanently installed so you can't get in. However, on the other side where the cave entrances actually are, only cave divers are allowed to have lights in the water

Soo... Im not allowed to use a focus light to get a picture of that little critter in the shadow behind the rock because I dont have a cave cert? Sounds reasonable - OR NOT

Soo... Im not allowed to use a focus light to get a picture of that little critter in the shadow behind the rock because I dont have a cave cert? Sounds reasonable - OR NOT

I think you're ok in this case, since the camera has the light, not you. ;-)

it's perfectly reasonable because people can't be trusted to not be idiots and go in the caves. Then they go in the caves, die, and their family sues the cave owner because their deceased spouse was a f*cking moron and got himself killed. Sucks, but a few people ruined it for everyone and those sites have specific rules to protect the property owners from getting sued. This is not a theoretical cyoa policy based on mights, this is a very real issue comparable to the "hot" warnings on coffee cups. People were stupid, they got hurt, the company got sued, so now they are protecting their skin from having it happen again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom