diving maui in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtminter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are looking to do some shore diving in Maui in January. We did lots of shore diving in the summer of 2012. Does the weather make shore diving difficult in January?

Any input is appreciated.

Shore diving access is pretty consistent year around in Maui. Mostly the determining factors involve whether or not there's a swell coming in, or if there has been a lot of rain, both of which negatively affect viz.

My experience over the many years I've been diving here is that January can be the roughest month of the year for shore diving. Not trying to scare you but I've cancelled more dive days during January's than any other month of the year. When it gets bad we can typically lose a week or more due to high surf. That being said, I can't tell you how much I would recommend contacting a local guide so that you can take best advantage of the potentially unpredictable conditions. You may get lucky and have some awesome diving but schedule for early in the trip in case things are not to your liking you may still get a chance to get wet before its time to fly home.

While we have had some really bad viz days lately, we often are able to get out away from shore with our dive scooters. Yesterday the viz at Makena Landing was about 10' but once we got out to 50 fsw it opened up really nicely. There are isolated reefs out away form the crowds which are packed with marine life. Check out Maui Scooter Divers.

Yes you can take a camera, I take my gopro everytime. The scooter is craddeled between your legs so both hands are free. Try them they are the best way to dive and they can take you to reefs otthers cannot get to from shore and alot of the boats do not dive them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom