Help deciphering tank markings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I am going to pass on them unless there is a drastic reduction in price. Dive shops not wanting to fill them would not be a problem as I have access to a compressor myself. They are both in current vis and hydro, and silly good eye on the Texas hydro. The tanks are currently in Texas but I would be picking them up to bring them back to Florida. I am fairly sure they are not fake stamps/ stickers, but I could be wrong...

Given what you are saying I could be wrong about the hydro stamps being fake. However, even if the hydros were done by a DOT shop, these cylinders do not have a valid hydro. They are missing evidence of a visual eddy. They should be stamped 05 Rin 15 VE. Lacking the VE they are not commercially fillable. As such, the hydro shop and whomever did the visual inspection screwed up.

How can people tell they are AL 6351 by the numbers? Also, I wasn't sure of the sizes of the tanks as I only have pictures to go by as well? The yellow tank looked to be an 80 but the other two look shorter and fatter. Shouldn't the capacity be stamped as well? These older stamps look different than newer tanks so I was a bit confused.

If you looked at the sticky referenced (I happened write it with input from others) it has the dates for Luxfer cylinders of when they produced cylinders made from AL6351 (first cylinder). Also the SP 6498 is special permit for AL6351 alloy (second and third cylinder). So a quick look was all I and others needed.

FWIW all of these are AL80s. But are really 77cuft. It has only been in the last ~20 years that the capacity has been stamped on cylinders.

Last edited:
For the above reasons I'd take my $200 and buy one good new AL tank or perhaps two used but not older than 10 years.

Bob
----------------
Has recycled 8 AL tanks - so far. Hates the waste but likes the safety.

PS:
Still diving every 3AA tank I ever bought.

PASS!!!!
There are far more recently manufactured/Hydro'd AL tanks available down here in SoFla for the same price.
Just hit Craig's List, Scubaboard, Spearboard, and EBay every day and dig through the classifieds that show SoFla tanks for sale.

You WILL eventually find them.
Probably before Xmas.

Avoid Pawn Shops.

Chug
Thanks that aluminum pressure vessels are really only suitable to wrap around beer.

Hello,

It is sad that there is so little information available about these cylinders! Especial in the land of scuba: Florida!!! I run a hydro-test facility in Oregon. There is nothing wrong or (Bad) about a 6351 aluminum cylinder "IF IT IS TESTED PROPERLY!!!" We fail about 8% of them due to neck cracks that exceed 2 threads. The rest are perfectly serviceable. I have a rental fleet of 200 cylinders and approximately 11% are pre 98' tanks!

Scared Silly, Has given you some great information!
I think my user name should be "not scared of 6351's"

Those hydro stamps ARE NOT VALID! A federally licensed hydro-tester with a valid RIN must BY FEDERAL LAW do an eddy current test on a 6351 cylinder and stamp a VE after the hydro date. Did I say federal law enough times???

Further more "Silly" is correct, those numbers are Very suspicious (though Not illegal)! I would phone that hydro-test facility and ask some questions: 1 Are they still in business? 2 Is this in fact their stamp and if so 3 Why was the eddy current test not done

A little aside: I think people get a little confused when they read "Visual Eddy" without any context! What is required on these cylinders is: An "eddy current test" and a visual inspection of the threads. The Eddy Current test is, in short, an electronic device that is threaded into the neck of the cylinder and a computer reads the "Eddy Current" as it is unscrewed from the bottle. Here it comes again...... Wait.....wait.... THIS IS FEDERAL LAW. Lol Then the test facility must stamp it in the metal. A dive shop may do an eddy current test just for safety during an annual visual. But they can not stamp a cylinder or even condemn a cylinder! Only refuse to fill it. Which I understand through a friend who lives in Florida, is a common practice! This is only due to ignorance and NOT safety!!!

PrffsrE

I would phone that hydro-test facility and ask some questions: 1 Are they still in business? 2 Is this in fact their stamp and if so 3 Why was the eddy current test not done

I have inquired twice but have not heard back … I plan to try again once more before sending it off to DOT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom