PADI Deep Dive certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Deep Dive Specialty is not that difficult to get. As a divemaster, you represent the instructor you teach with, the store you work for and PADI. It looks bad for you to not have a certification in something you may be called upon to assist in (even AOW has a deep dive). Any potential employer will take that into account. I personally don't know any DM that doesn't have a Deep Diver cert, so not having one would immediately put you at a disadvantage around here. Get the Deep Diver Specialty. You might actually learn something. Do at least one of those deep dives in a cold dark quarry. 100ft at 45F with less than 20ft Vis is a whole different experience than 100ft in a nice warm ocean with lots to see.

I see three issues:

1. Depth Rating. There's nothing in the DM course that actually trains you to increase your qualified depth (and no, I wouldn't count the deep scenario as appropriate or thorough training.....

2. Role-Model Safe Diving Practices. It's hard to "role-model" PADI's safe diving practices if you, the divemaster, are exceeding your training and experience.

3. Credibility. For the most part, diving customers expect the Divemaster to be more qualified and experienced than them. Lots of divers take the Deep Diver course. They'd be more qualified than you...

Last edited:
It should be perhaps, but it's not (not for PADI, anyway). Just a "deep dive scenario", which is described in the instructor manual.

At least for SSI and SNSI Deep diving cert is a must for DM.

It should be perhaps, but it's not (not for PADI, anyway). Just a "deep dive scenario", which is described in the instructor manual.

In PADI's DM course, the candidate doesn't have to do the "deep dive scenario" if the candidate has the Deep Diver Specialty. The same concept applies to the Search and Recovery scenario/specialty.

In PADI's DM course, the candidate doesn't have to do the "deep dive scenario" if the candidate has the Deep Diver Specialty. The same concept applies to the Search and Recovery scenario/specialty.

I have a sneaking feeling that this guy knows what he's talking about. :)

Do the deep course. Then before you start the DM course take an Advanced Nitrox and Deco course and see how much the deep course did not teach you.

Then start DM.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have never started DM without a tech course or two. Changes the way you think about everything and will give you skills and knowledge that a number of recreational instructors don't have.

Last edited:
You should not only do the deep dive course, you should first talk with the instructor and find out very specifically what kind of depths those dives will entail. The standards allow a range of depths (18 meters/go feet to 40 meters/130 feet) to qualify because in a lot of places, there is no access to water deeper than a little beyond the minimum depth range. I know of people who did the entire specialty in a body of water with a maximum depth of 65 feet. I won't do that.

A while ago i was working with a student in a series of advanced recreational classes leading up to the Deep Dive specialty class. A former world class athlete who was still in excellent shape, he was doing extremely well. When we did the deep dive specialty, our first dive was to 100 feet. We noticed that his SAC rate went up a bit. When we did the next dive to about 120 feet, his eyes grew wide, and his breathing rate increased dramatically. I could not believe how fast he went through his air, and neither could he. He was just that anxious about being at that depth, and his reaction was more surprising to him than it was to me. He had assumed he would be fine.

The time to learn that you have some anxiety about going to depths like that is during training. The first time you go to that depth and learn you have a fear of it should not be on a dive when you are acting as a professional leading a group of divers. You should be very comfortable diving to that depth to the point that you can assist with other divers who might be having problems. The people in your charge should not have to be helping you. The only way to be sure you are comfortable diving to those depths is to get enough experience doing it to make sure you are going to be OK.

Yes, my AWO "Deep" dive was to 63 fsw. The Deep course took me to 130'. Didn't notice much difference other that rapid use of air (and 33F water diving wet--and that's not w/thermocline).

Yes, my AWO "Deep" dive was to 63 fsw. The Deep course took me to 130'. Didn't notice much difference other that rapid use of air (and 33F water diving wet--and that's not w/thermocline).

Good! So you learned two things of value by going that deep on those dives:
1. You still felt reasonably comfortable at that depth.
2. You had a personal demonstration, better than a little match using Boyle's Law, about how much faster you will go through air at that depth.

You would have done neither if your Deep Diver specialty had also been done to 63 fsw.

To save me looking it up, what are the required depths for the PADI Deep course?

Back
Top Bottom