PADI Deep Dive certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Specialty Course Instructor Guide

Depths: Conduct Dive One between 18 metres/60 feet and 30 metres/100 feet. Dives Two, Three and Four may not exceed 40 metres/130 feet.

Specialty Course Instructor Guide

Depths: Conduct Dive One between 18 metres/60 feet and 30 metres/100 feet. Dives Two, Three and Four may not exceed 40 metres/130 feet.

It should be noted that the deep dive from AOW can be counted as the first dive. Thus, for many people, there are only 3 dives for the deep dive scenario, all of which can be up to 130 feet deep.

So I assume that since dives 2,3,4 may not exceed 130', it means that all 4 dives could actually be to 61'?

So I assume that since dives 2,3,4 may not exceed 130', it means that all 4 dives could actually be to 61'?

Yes, regretfully. As I said, I won't do it. I think you need to push to the edge of those depths on those dives to get the experience. That's why I suggest you ask what is going to happen in your class and reject any class that keeps you that shallow.

My deep in AOW (SDI equivalent) was to 65 ft. Instructor would not do a deep cert in that quarry which was fine with me. A couple hundred dives later while working toward DM I went back and did the deep cert (PADI) to get the card. At that point I had a number of dives in the 80-90 ft range. Did not really learn anything new while getting the cert but then I had read the manual much earlier and had dove some with tech trained buddies. Still it was four more enjoyable dives.

Personally I think counting any of the AOW towards certs misses the point which should be training and experience. I always did the full cert and usually found it beneficial.

Do the deep course. Then before you start the DM course take an Advanced Nitrox and Deco course and see how much the deep course did not teach you.

Then start DM.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have never started DM without a tech course or two. Changes the way you think about everything and will give you skills and knowledge that a number of recreational instructors don't have.

I agree Jim.....

PADI Deep Diver versus the Tec40 Course: A Comparison

I certified with SSI and routinely dove down to 80'-90'. The Biggest eye opener I had when I received my Deep cert was how oblivious I was to my minds impairment. I certified with SSI and routinely dove down to 80'-90' I'm not the sharpest rock in the desert and simple arithmetic is tough for me land lol, but at 110' it took me about 20 seconds to answer 2+2-1=_ . The second dive to 103' doing a combo lock was impossible till I looked at my slate which had the combo on it. Looking back on my "fun deep" dives I am glad I had a buddy who was aware of this, and wouldn't allow me to become sidetracked so to speak. I recently received my AOW through SSI and believe experience and education is what makes a better diver.:goingdown:

Thank you very much for your input. I will do the deep dive course cert.

Initially I thought that the DM coursework also certified you to do the deep dive or qualified you to do depths to 40M+. But that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Do the deep course. Then before you start the DM course take an Advanced Nitrox and Deco course and see how much the deep course did not teach you.

Then start DM.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have never started DM without a tech course or two. Changes the way you think about everything and will give you skills and knowledge that a number of recreational instructors don't have.

I was actually a full trimix diver before I became a DM but I never got a deep diver cert per se.

I was actually a full trimix diver before I became a DM but I never got a deep diver cert per se.
The Deep cert. wasn't required to take trimix?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom