POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto Zoop. Even though by now, I moved on to own a Petrel, I would have bought it again. It was cheap, and there is no way to predict whether you will stick to the sport, no point getting anything fancy from day #1. Aside from a minor issue that turned out to be due to a bad battery, I have had 2 of these serving me and my wife well on over 100 dives. They seem rugged and popular, and easy to service. I once had a Zoop succesfully "serviced" on the spot by a shabby boat captain on Cozumel with the same knife he was using to cut his onions.

Aeris Savant, then an Oceanic Versa Pro, then (maybe not in this order) Dive Rite Plus, Diver Rite He, Dive Rite Duo, an Oceanic OC1 with transmitter, and finally a Shearwater Petrel.
I'd buy them all again except the He, although it was the right buy at that time. I also have a Sensus divelogger. I dive recreationally with the OC1 and the Petrel, plus the Sensus. For tech dives I use the Petrel and the Duo, plus the Sensus.
My wife started with a Suunto Solution, then an Oceanic Pro Plus, then and Oceanic Geo 2.0. The Suunto would not be purchased again (interface, functions, use, algorithm). She dives with the ProPlus and the Geo, plus a CASIO watch just fo the time/depth info because it is easy to get the info out of it for her log.

my first was a Scubapro decom meter. still have it . I now use Galileao Terra

Aries Atmos 2 - got through Scuba Toys for a great price and yes I would get it again. I sold most of my gear when I stopped diving for a number of years and noe wish I still had it all!

Jeff

My first was the oceanic geo 2. I still use it as a backup. For cave diving, it is inadequate because it's not lit well enough to be visible in low light or silt. But, for tropical open water, on vacation, I still think it's a great choice.

I have an extra one for sale by the way :wink:

2009-2010 Suunto Gekko, predecessor to the Zoop.
It is still on my wrist on every dive, so yeah - good solid computer that (mostly) does what I need it to do.

Except gauge mode, but I ”bend it” as a backup to an Aladin 2G (gauge) to accompany tables when needed.

If I had the money, I‘d buy two SW Petrels.

Orca Edge in 1989. Still have it…works great.

If it was 1989, I'd buy it again in a flash. Lots of great memories with that computer.

These days, I dive a Suunto Cobra with a Stinger as backup when I dive Open Circuit.

Suunto Gekko. Pressure sensor crapped out before it really should have. It would have been perfectly adequate except for that, and I use the current equivalent (Zoop) as my backup.

Sherwood Logic, back in 2002, Nitrox capable, console mounted.

if I could travel back in time, I'd buy the wrist-mounted version. Switched to an Aeris Atmos 2 seven months later.

that was a great little computer, and I eventually got a Nitek He three years later only because I needed multi-gas, multi-mix features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom