Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this online. There are some new concrete sculptures that are planned to be submerged at the west end of the snorkel trail this Friday.

Why it

Why it

Three-Shark-Sculpture.jpg

Just saw this online. There are some new concrete sculptures that are planned to be submerged at the west end of the snorkel trail this Friday.

Why it

Why it

View attachment 210617

I can find out more....but my best guess is that this is an effort by the county, to gain more snorkel tourism and interest for locals just considering snorkeling.
If we look at the Christ Statue in Key Largo...it had massive numbers of snorkelers and divers travel there to see it.....there is a lot of precedent for underwater statues bringing in tourists.

To me, the more emphasis the county puts on snorkeling and diving at the BHB, the more invested the county is in the well being of the park....and the more they will actively work on protecting this resource. So I see this as a good thing.
Also....even new snorkelers are less environmentally destructive than the typical dive classes at the BHB...where no snorkel skills exists....I wonder if many of the instructors from that drive here from 40 to 200 miles away with huge classes... could even snorkel at mediocre skill levels? These are the groups we don't need....they drive here with scuba tanks in trailers and 15 to 30 horrific students...they bring their own food, and wail and rototill on the delicate bottom of the BHB, then leave...no money into the County tourism economy, only leaving damage and memories of a full parking lot in their wake. Personally, I'd rather have 100 more fisherman. Far less damage to what we visit the BHB for.

Sorry Dan, it is Monday and I really just needed to humor myself a little..

It is interesting how this stuff just pops up. Did anyone even know about it? Obama sign an executive order or something?

Bringing a group of first time BHB people down this weekend. I'm coming down a day early (tomorrow). Some people maybe be a little rusty, so I offered to do a shore dive thurs. afternoon. Let them do a weight check and camera check before we do the bridge. Better to find a problem when the time window is not a factor. I've done Hollywood, Dania Erojacks, and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea shore dives. I enjoyed them all. But looking at the map, it seems like Singer Island Mitigation "Reef" would be a lot less travelling with the group. Have any trolls ever taken a group of people on Singer Island Mitigation Reef for a quick check-dive?

In case I'm not using the right name, I mean this:

https://goo.gl/maps/YBf0T

SI-1.jpg

I'm not expecting much, just a chance to get wet. I've read variously that it's fine and that there are lifeguards who won't let you go in. I need local knowledge. If it's no good, what would another close alternative be? Boynton Inlet?

Thanks

T-48 hrs 'til BHB and a chance to try the new EM10+60mm macro+CMC !

Bringing a group of first time BHB people down this weekend. I'm coming down a day early (tomorrow). Some people maybe be a little rusty, so I offered to do a shore dive thurs. afternoon. Let them do a weight check and camera check before we do the bridge. Better to find a problem when the time window is not a factor. I've done Hollywood, Dania Erojacks, and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea shore dives. I enjoyed them all. But looking at the map, it seems like Singer Island Mitigation "Reef" would be a lot less travelling with the group. Have any trolls ever taken a group of people on Singer Island Mitigation Reef for a quick check-dive?

In case I'm not using the right name, I mean this:

https://goo.gl/maps/YBf0T

View attachment 210657

I'm not expecting much, just a chance to get wet. I've read variously that it's fine and that there are lifeguards who won't let you go in. I need local knowledge. If it's no good, what would another close alternative be? Boynton Inlet?

Thanks

T-48 hrs 'til BHB and a chance to try the new EM10+60mm macro+CMC !

There are no lifeguards in the area where the artificial reefs sits.....it is shallow...maybe 6 feet to 8 at most....some fish on rocks....It is sort of like the snorkel trail at BHB...
Yes you could do skills there.....on the other hand, it is in the surf zone, so if the ocean is not flat, BHB would be much easier for new divers.

The only problem I see for you at BHB, is parking on a weekend...and worst case, you drop people off at west side --you can pull right up to the sand....dump the gear...then someone has to park the car at the Ocean mall 250 yards north east--down the road, and walk back. It is really just inconvenient, not hard to do at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom