Are PADI OWD allowed to teach scuba diving during pool demos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When people who know what they are talking about started asking him to clarify exactly who was being allowed to do what down there... he dropped that part of the discussion from his follow up posts. When asked directly about that... he disappeared completely and hasn't been back since.

The OP is alive and well, and is currently enrolled in a different DM program....I can tell you that he is an honest person and a good conscientious diver who will make a great DM ....he can fill you in on the rest if he wants.....but rest assured, he was not here to causes trouble, but rather to get answers to legitimate questions.....sadly, he got no help from most of you.

I am wondering if there are any PADI rules regarding Open Water divers, taking non certified divers off the beach/pool area, suiting them up in all the gear, an then taking them scuba diving around the swimming pool to"introduce" them to diving.

Many PADI open water divers may not be capable of safe independent dives. How on earth could these owd divers instruct others then? If PADI allowed that, then PADI would get in legal trouble in the U.S. specifically.

Why are you asking about PADI rules? PADI is just a commercial corporation - just like MacDonalds. Are you contacting Nike or Adidas before you teach your children to walk?

It may actually be a stupid thing to teach people to dive before knowing how they usually fail... and how to rescue them... and this is why dive master and instructor courses may be usefull. As a private person though, strictly speaking, you are not bound by PADI rules but by the local law. The law may be more strict if you are a professional.

Unless I missed it, but if the OP is on some type of internship, wouldn't they have access to the manuals within the dive centre?

A quick glance at the PADI standards on DSD's would have answered their question

Way to go guys...now you scared the OP off.

despicable-me-minion-375512.jpg

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom