wetsuit thickness for the keys in March/april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm doing some diving on the east coast of Florida in last March/early april and wondering what the appropriate level of thermal protection is. My most recent experience with diving is in 50-55 degree water in Monterey where I would suit up with a 7mm fullsuit, 5mm hooded vest, boots, and 5mm gloves for two dives in the morning. It was sufficient, but not overly so.

It looks to me that I am looking at 75degree water on the surface. Does that get cooler with depth?

Is a 7mm fullsuit (cressi Lontra: 60 Second Scubalab - Cressi Lontra Wetsuit | Scuba Diving) too much 2-4 dives a day? Do I need to bring gloves (I have a pair of 3mm that are super easy to use)? Hood?

I guess i could always be a little less stringent with my wrist and ankle seals and that would add some cooling.

I really like the Cressi suit as it fits well, but if I need to rent a suit for comfort, I can do that too. The online wetsuit thickness guides see to indicate that 7mm is somewhere between too much and WAY too much for 75 degree water.

Thanks for the tips?

In Feb it is 68-72, so in March April you are probably talking low 70s.

ok, that 7mm is starting to sound more reasonable then, what am I looking at for air temp during the SI, 80?

The last few years, I 've been in the Keys in March certifying students. I wore a 5 mm with a hooded vest and 5 mm boots. I was comfortable doing 4 dives a day. Having said that, there was an 82 year old guy diving off the boat with a tee shirt and board shorts. Water temps ran 69 to 72.

I dive around that time every year in the Keys and use a 3mm shorty with 7mm boots & hood. If I start to feel the cold it is for a short time at the end of the hour.

I'll be there in about a week, and will be renting gear (I presume 3mm fulls - do shops carry thicker wetsuits?). Hoping that plus booties and a hood will be sufficient. Planning 4 dives a day (likely one of the wrecks each morning) Am I in for a nasty/cold surprise?

I'm in Boynton Beach/Jupiter now. I had a deep reef dive in Boynton that was 69 degrees, the other 18 dives have been 73-74 degrees. I did the 1st 2 dives in my usual 5 mm with 5/3 mm hooded vest and got cold, especially the last 15 minutes of an hour to an hour and a quarter dive. I switched to my full 7 mm with the hooded vest and was toasty on the next 17 dives, including the 69. I was among the only divers warm on the dives. My SRMV dropped significantly when I was warm. The SIs were also quite cold due to the relatively low ambient temperatures and the significant wind. My boat coat kept me warm when others were shivering.

To each their own, I don't think diving your 7 mm in March/April would be too much, I'd much rather be warm until the end of the dive. Bring a good boat coat.

Good diving, Craig

I wear a 3mm, sharkskin hood and 1mm vest, my wifes wears a 1mm. Our friend wears a 7mm, it all depends on your personal comfort level

I wear a 3mm, sharkskin hood and 1mm vest, my wifes wears a 1mm. Our friend wears a 7mm, it all depends on your personal comfort level

that friend wearing the 7MM is ME! I checked my previous posts from march and early april for the past 2 years and water temps ranged from 72F to 77F on our dives offshore the upper keys. diving tomorrow and plan on the 7MM with a 3/5 hooded vest(temps today @ molasses were reported 76F). my 5MM is doable but I dislike focusing on being cold for 2 hour+ dives ,,,,,,,BTW, I would check back on SB just prior to your trip and ask for current offshore water temps in the keys. we do have a few weeks of cooler than normal temps forecasted ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I think another factor is activity level. As I get older and swim slower and spend longer looking at stuff, my SAC rate goes down, and my appreciation of a warmer wetsuit goes up.

It is probably obvious but I find that swimming with my hands forward but arms against my sides unless I am shooting a picture of the like cuts down on my heat loss. I can feel the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom