Cruise ship passenger dies on Discover Scuba in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand your point. but question for you, if you and your family had a vacation that you wanted to take for years, you finally were able to make all the cogs fit together so you could plan it. 6 months out you found out you were terminally ill with 6 to 7 months to live. The doctor said it was okay for you to travel, would you A) still take the vacation and spend time with family, or B) cancel the vacation and spend time with family?
Interesting question. I suppose I'd have to ask them, but then I might not tell them. Just hard to say. My guess is that I'd make sure they knew how to conveniently deal with my demise and go on anyway. I like the idea of cremating and continuing the trip mentioned in a post above, but I read a news story yesterday about one funeral facility that was a month behind on cremations. It wouldn't matter if my ashes got to continue on the trip tho. More important to take plenty of cameras, supplies, and get the pics.

I enjoy traveling with my kids but I'd hate to die then, disrupting their trip - seriously. I hope his widow made the best of her cruise with him in storage onboard, but that would be difficult.

1. the movie National Lampoon's Family Vacation
  2. Aunt Edna

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I guess I look at it differently. While there is no great way to die, as I get closer, I find that I envy my friends who are doing something they love, something adventurous, and feel bad for my friends who are spending years and a million dollars (because that's where the insurance runs out) battling cancer or congestive heart failure.
When I was young and foolish I used to buy into the nonsense about dying while doing something you love.

Now that I'm older and wiser I've decided that my main criteria is to die quickly and painlessly. What I'm actualy doing isn't really important, other than a preference to spend as much time as possible doing the things I love.

The deceased diver will be buried tomorrow at 2pm . He was an electrician and did not vacation very often. This was his first cruise and a couple of good friends encouraged him to take this cruise with his wife "because life is short and you're not taking your money with you" one of them told him.

I'm assuming there will be an accident report at some point in time.

Not likely.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2015 at 06:11 PM ----------

When I was young and foolish I used to buy into the nonsense about dying while doing something you love.

If you've ever had occasion to recover someone who "died doing what they love" it becomes pretty clear that they didn't love it right there at the end.

If you've ever had occasion to recover someone who "died doing what they love" it becomes pretty clear that they didn't love it right there at the end.

But it was quick. Maybe not quick as they'd have liked, but still quick.

The deceased diver will be buried tomorrow at 2pm . He was an electrician and did not vacation very often. This was his first cruise and a couple of good friends encouraged him to take this cruise with his wife "because life is short and you're not taking your money with you" one of them told him.

The dive will have to prep an incident report for PADI. As far as a police report of some sort, depends on the local government, but I doubt it.

The dive will have to prep an incident report for PADI. As far as a police report of some sort, depends on the local government, but I doubt it.

Agency incident reports are not released. In the U.S.A., police reports are usually released after a freedom of information request. I don't know about Mexico.

Oh wow!!! This post makes it even sadder!

Back
Top Bottom