too deep to resurface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, the main issue is the buddy separation bit. Yes, it happens, but it shouldn't happen because people are busy with the critters. Maintain some situational awareness for your own safety. All this can be avoided by properly implementing the buddy system. Maintain the leader and follower pattern and do some checks every minute or so. My current buddy and I are now practiced in this, the leader knows where the follower is likely to be at all times. I hang back to the right slightly when following, he will be above me to the right when I lead. the buddy system only fails because the buddies fail individually. Be a good buddy and that's enough of that.

As for popping up from 20m, I wouldn't do that. Controlled ascent from that depth, omitting a safety stop is perfectly fine within ndl. If this was the agreed upon procedure, you follow it. Why have a lost buddy procedure in the dive briefing if you just choose to ignore it? The tables and algorithms used in sport diving are conservative enough to be able to get away without any serious mishaps.

why would he be above you?

Wouldn't it be better to be at the same depth and beside each other so that each diver only needs a quick turn of the head to see the other diver?

If you both got out of this scenario alive, count your blessings and don't be picky about the number of minutes it took to surface. The primary issue here is that a pair of buddy's lost eye contact with each other, Full Stop. Both of you made mistakes.

You may wish to put more detail into your emergency plan, and specify the meeting point and time, to avoid further consternation should you decide to lose each other again. Neither of you should ever create more danger/risk in order to get to the muster point. Ascend in a controlled manner, stopping for decompression as needed based on current exposure and off-gassing needs. Hopefully you each have your own computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom