BCD: tall man with long torso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will be spending a couple of days on Bali next week, so should have the opportunity to do some research. Would like to have things sorted out before going to Lombok early next year. Some serious dives where I would really like to know my own equipment by heart...

I'm the same height, but use a DSS XLong, instead of a Long (DSS doesn't make the Kydex in Xlong)....I tried the DSS Long and it wasn't as comfortable as the XLong....I use it primarily for cave diving w/double HP100's & HP120's.......It weighs more than the Kydex, but for divers w/longer torso's it's a better fit........

yes, for diving doubles, it is likely more important as valve placement is critical, and the x-long likely would be the better choice. That being said, of just single tank diving, the long pattern is likely to fit the bill (pun intended). The Kydex plate makes a nice travel weight rig which seems in the realm the OP is trying to achieve.

I have three DSS plates, a SS long, Kydex Long, and an SS X-Long (well, actually 4 as I got the wife a standard SS too). There is an enormous difference going to the long (and beyond).

If you want to stay with a more traditional looking BCD, have a look at Oceanic Islander (2). It is back inflate but does have pockets. I am 6'7" (~260 lbs), use the XXL and it fits quite well. The back inflate does tend to put me more face first on the surface when I have a large negative camera but I compensate with weights in the tank band pouches which helps. Oceanic says it's a travel BCD but in the larger sizes it will have more weight. I have not made the jump to backplate and wings but may do so in the future.

If you can handle a back-mounted BCD, I highly recommend Zeagle for people who need special fit. All the Zeagle BCD's have a modular fit system. where the waist, the body and the shoulders can all be ordered in different sizes to make a custom fit. The Zeagle Ranger is probably their most popular model, and for a good reason. It's rugged, it's comfortable and very versatile. Zeagle is also very accomdating to making special parts if their standard sizes don't work for you.

Hello simmitop!

I'm also 6'5" and a long torso. Most scuba gear off of the shelf does not fit me properly and I've had to MacGyver most of my gear to make it fit. Except the DSS Long Pattern plates I have a Kydex and a stainless steel plate.

What you experience with the typical rental BCD happened to me with every off the shelf BCD until I added a crotch strap to prevent it, as the waist cummerbund is usually not snug enough in the larger sizes to prevent the BCD from riding up at the surface.

Switching to a back plate and wing remedied that rather quickly. I still have a crotch strap, but don't need it to keep the back plate & wing from riding up. The harness and weight if the tank keep everything in place very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom