Peeing in a geoprene wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notes for myself

1) do not pee in the dry suit underwater
2) if you use the head and only partially remove the dry suit, make sure not to pee thru the crack between the seat and throne (things shrink in cold water)
3) removing dry suit before peeing is the best, not most convenient option.

You can often tell who has peed in their wetsuit during a dive because they and the suit both stink afterwards.
Hydrating so the urine is clear or near clear might cut down on stink but will not negate it.

I try really hard to remember to void before putting on a wetsuit and not to go again until after it has come off. It is no shame to discreetly slip down the ladder after everyone has come back aboard and pee in the ocean.
I'd much rather witness my colleagues do so on the dive boat than be subjected to strong urea smells from wetsuit and bathing suits on the ride back.

Ricky-B, you should have your olfactory senses checked out.

As hard as we tried not to pee in our wetsuits, in Coz with 80-90 min dives it just wasn't possible some days....damm steel 120's!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is no shame to discreetly slip down the ladder after everyone has come back aboard and pee in the ocean.
Just make sure you get permission from the captain to "check the props" before you leave the boat.

Another potential issue with geoprene is how it compares with the compressibility of scuba-grade neoprene. Some neoprenes are more compression-resistant than others, better retaining insulation to greater depths, and being more durable to the wear and tear of compressing and expanding during multiple dives. That's why surfing wetsuits and scuba wetsuits are often not made from the same neoprene. Where does geoprene come down in this aspect? Is there more than one grade of geoprene? How compressible? How durable after compression cycles?

You can often tell who has peed in their wetsuit during a dive because they and the suit both stink afterwards.
Hydrating so the urine is clear or near clear might cut down on stink but will not negate it.

I try really hard to remember to void before putting on a wetsuit and not to go again until after it has come off. It is no shame to discreetly slip down the ladder after everyone has come back aboard and pee in the ocean.
I'd much rather witness my colleagues do so on the dive boat than be subjected to strong urea smells from wetsuit and bathing suits on the ride back.

Ricky-B, you should have your olfactory senses checked out.

If the problem with peeing in the wetsuit is the smell and I'm not smelling it, maybe I should leave my olfactory sense right where it is!

[video=youtube_share;47vAK-lmHlc]http://youtu.be/47vAK-lmHlc[/video]

I'm considering buying a geoprene wetsuit. However, I almost always do two dives a day when diving and in my experience most dive boats have no toilets on board. This leaves me with no other option but to sometimes pee in my wetsuit. I read that geoprene is 98% impermeable and I am slightly worried that the piss wont flush out of the wetsuit. Has anyone got experience with this?

I have no idea what geoprene is, but can tell you that peeing in a well-fitting modern wetsuit is not a happy time, since there is little or no water flushing.

I dive dry more than 90% of the time and have a pee valve. The only times I've peed in my wetsuit has become more of a "marinating in my own juices" dive than any sort of relief. I don't do it anymore.

Some people recommended a trick where you hang upside down and vent a reg into the neck, which just turned me into a giant lift bag (happy I was in the pool for that one).

flots

Last edited:
Another potential issue with geoprene is how it compares with the compressibility of scuba-grade neoprene. Some neoprenes are more compression-resistant than others, better retaining insulation to greater depths, and being more durable to the wear and tear of compressing and expanding during multiple dives. That's why surfing wetsuits and scuba wetsuits are often not made from the same neoprene. Where does geoprene come down in this aspect? Is there more than one grade of geoprene? How compressible? How durable after compression cycles?
My very brief read of the geoprene marketing crap led me to believe it is made of the same chemicals, just obtained from a different source. Kind of like you can get "sugar" from sugar cane, sugar beets, corn syrup, bee vomit, ...

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 11:15 PM ----------

If the problem with peeing in the wetsuit is the smell and I'm not smelling it, maybe I should leave my olfactory sense right where it is!
As long as you solo dive, no issues.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 11:16 PM ----------

.. "marinating in my own juices" ...flots
Kind of like taking a bath?

I have a good nose.... And I have never been able to tell if my dive buddy has pee'd in their wet suit...

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom