Why use Force Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Oldbear, I would like to know too. Perhaps a more revealing question is how many divers have switched to another fin from a Force Fin? …Any why?

I noticed that John Chatterton has used Force Fins in the past but recently wrote a favorable review of Hollis Bat Fins.

Hollis F-1 Bat Fins | Shadow Diver | John Chatterton

We all know it is human nature to rave about products we have spent a lot of money on. You can’t blame people from being skeptical when the product has not been copied, is so unusual looking, or the company hasn’t been bought out. It obviously hasn’t taken the market by storm. I know there are patents but many have probably expired, or will soon. All I seem to read are superlatives backed up by… more superlatives.

Edit: I also have to wonder about claims of biomechanical efficiency. If that is accurate, why haven't world class freedivers adopted them?

I got mine for $50, and love them. Would I love them as much if I spent $289.95??? Would I spend $289.95 on fins??? :idk:

For less, I love my F-1's, DR XT's, and my Turtles too......

I got my pros for $30 on craigslist while tdy in san diego. My first pair of regular force fins I got from a crusty old usmc combat diver for $40.

I agree with DevonDiver. I've used Force Fins Pro for about twenty years and have tried a few other fins at times. The main virtue IMO is comfort. They're easy on the ankles and feet and easy to put on and off, especially passing through surf as here in California shore diving. When swimming underwater they feel like part of my body.

I miss those days when they were available in shops to try them on and came in many models and colors.

You get a lot of thrust for a lot of rapid energy expenditure.

Liken it to marathon running: Gazelle VS Gliding techniques.
All freedivers Gazelle. Big slow kicks for large outputs of thrust.

Force fins require many short kicks to get that amount of thrust, but you gain a lot of constant speed with that thrust. Minimum effort though, which is their huge selling point.
Freedivers can't keep their heart rate low and can't go into Bradycardia doing this type of kicking, as such your dive time suffers. So that's why Force Fins aren't adopted in that area.

Flick your ankles to Frog kick. With Jets you move a good distance in calm waters. With Forcefins, you go nowhere. They need a little gusto to recoil and give you thrust. Very different kickstyle, but man do they take the cake for having no drag whatsoever.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fins-vs-force-fins-vs-blade-normal-fins.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fin-review-2-0-split-fins-vs-all-others.html

I believe that some special forces divers use them because they are OK for walking (tripping and falling is bad for stealth, also even more dangerous while carrying a loaded gun). Also because they are compact to carry and great for turns, even backwards finning.

One of the things that has not been discussed is the fact that the term "Force Fins" describes an entire series of fins that have been designed to provide optimal performance for a wide variety of divers and diving conditions.

The traditional force fins are made in two different (at one time 3) models - the regular for easiest kicking and the Pros for those that need a little more power.

Additionally you have the Foil Force Fins - the original and best split fin - which used to be available in several materials so you could match them to your needs.

From there they have evolved into a series of performance fins - some using more sophisticated materials to provide even more thrust - some with small variations (Flying Force Fins) that make it easier to control and frog kick. Add to that the Extra Force Fins, the Excellerating Force Fins and the Hockey Force Fins which offer(ed) even higher performance if you are dealing with currents or need extra control or just like to be able to run away from everyone else on the dive.:D

Added to this are a long list of "Force Fins" that Bob has designed for specific uses - the SD-1 for the military - the float tube fins - the swim (training) fins - the OPS system of interchangeable blade fins - etc.

The one constant in the entire line is the foot pocket which is designed to minimize the stress on the ankles, knees, leg muscles and hips. Yes, they are more expensive that the pieces of molded plastic and rubber that others offer and don't try and lure you in with gimmicks like flex joints or rubber bands. They are manufactured using high quality urethane materials that lasts for decades.

So, if you want to know why Force Fins have such a devoted following - it is because we can get a fin that meets our specific diving needs (many of us have several types and use them when they are most appropriate) and we get a fin that will last (I have never heard anyone complain that their Force Fins fell apart).

...Liken it to marathon running: Gazelle VS Gliding techniques.
All freedivers Gazelle. Big slow kicks for large outputs of thrust…

Freedivers use long slow kicks because they can travel the farthest with the least amount of Oxygen converted to CO2. They could care less what kind of kick the fin needs to be the most energy efficient.

I readily accept that some people find Force Fins comfortable. What comes across as claims of exceptional thrust for minimal energy input are harder to accept. I have asked several ex-SEALs over the years about Force Fins and all of them indicated they really didn’t care what kind of fin they used.

I don’t have a dog in this fight and would pay for Force Fins — if I were convinced they were significantly and demonstrably more efficient. I do like the improved ability to walk on deck with them on, but not enough to base the purchase on that alone.

Based on several comments here, I might consider spending under $40 for a used pair to try them out and loan them to friends.

Unfortunately, with Bob having limited production the past couple of years, the price of used Force Fins has escalated - the good old days of $40 Force Fins is no more.
sad.gif
:( In fact, for some of the high performance fins, the price is approaching the price of these fins when new (I may have to consider letting some of my cache go :wink: - not really!!!). You will have to pry my Yellow Hockey Fins and Excellerators out of my cold, dead hands!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom