Dressel Internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent two weeks last year in Riviera Maya and dove with Dressel Drivers. I found the shop to be very friendly and efficient. The interns I talked to were very happy with the program and did not feel taken advantage of. They worked hard but received a lot of training and a LOT of experience. I think the long internship is about the in depth experience the intern receives. You can get the same amount of training elsewhere but Dressel Divers provides the experience to go with the training. I investigated internships with them and think it is a good opportunity. If I could afford six months of my life I would do it.
I did not see what I would call “selling”. The staff would take turns talking to resort visitors about Try Scuba but I did not see anyone being pressured. I saw people being informed about the opportunity to go diving. I see the same thing happening at other shops as well.
If you want to see people being taking advantage of you should see one shop I dive with. The only person getting paid is the owner. no one else (instructors and DM) do not get paid. They pay a lot of money to receive training and the only thing they get in return is a discount on equipment and air fills.

Hello guys! Dive2deco: i am in the same situation as u.. I already made contact with dressel And they accept me for the divemaster internship on bayahibe dominican Rep. For june 2014... The thing is that i got no feedback from somebody show has did it And that's concerning me.. But i really wanna do it... Im reading comments on this post And it seems that if u looking for real And professional dive expereince is a great opportunity... What u say?

Hi guys! I'm thinking of doing my IDC course with Dressel divers. How is going your expedience with them?

Hi!

im also considering doing a DM internship with dressel but I'm still considering which location I would like to work at. I have it narrowed down to Mexico, possibly Cozumel or playa del Carmen. I know Cozumel has better diving, but there's no much else to do. Since I would be living there for 6 months I'm thinking playa del Carmen is a better option because (from what I've read online) it is cheaper and there is more to do. What do you think?

One of my very best friends just finished her IDC with the company in Playa Del Carmen, She now lives in Cozumel. If you guys still have questions and want to get in touch with her directly send me a P.M. and your background. Good luck all around!

~MG

Hi!

im also considering doing a DM internship with dressel but I'm still considering which location I would like to work at. I have it narrowed down to Mexico, possibly Cozumel or playa del Carmen. I know Cozumel has better diving, but there's no much else to do. Since I would be living there for 6 months I'm thinking playa del Carmen is a better option because (from what I've read online) it is cheaper and there is more to do. What do you think?

Tons to do in Cozumel. Bowling, putt putt, cinema, etc. plus the diving

I had 2 friends that (seperately) did the thing with them in mexico. Ultimately, passports confiscated early on to prevent people leaving. During the "working to pay it off" part they were set impossible sales targets which were used as an excuse to not pay/demand money or increase the time spent "working". Due to not having passports they couldn't leave at this point. It seems a very very common theme with them.
One person only got out of there by physically ripping his passport out of the safe when someone else was near.

Ive not heard anything good about them.

ill post an honest review in a few when ive finished my intership

Last edited:
Internship finished and IDC (OWSI) completed with successful results.

All in all its a fairly good program. At least until you finish. A GUARANTEED position awaits you upon completion of your internship.. UNTRUE!

After giving the company more than 6 months of my time a position was not given to be. Reasons for this... they offered every single person a GUARANTEED position on completion (even the people who didn't part-take in the internship program, basically just paid). Candidates who spoke more than 2 languages where plucked and given employment, the rest where shoved off and wished luck. To say I'm bitter about this is a major understatement.

More than 20 people where promised employment. Less than half got it.

To anybody interested in Scuba Diving, know this. As much of a great life style it is (and it is truly amazing - i wouldn't change it for the world), its cut throat, if you don't have thick skin, steer clear.

This post is not meant to be in anyway destructive towards the company, however I feel it is my duty to inform everybody who is interested in what lies ahead.

Good luck in your en devours.

Care to add more details on the work/training/expectations during internship?

Back
Top Bottom