How to protect hair from chlorine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently joined Aqua Pilates and the chlorine seems to pull the color out of my hair. I tried a silicone swim cap and it keeps popping off. I have a large head. Is there any product that can protect hair from chlorine. I'm mostly gray and color my hair to a dark blonde. I wash my hair as soon as I'm out of the pool.

Just a suggestion here, but check out swim outlet.com. I think they sell extra large size on the caps.
I use one that covers the ears as well and a good fresh water rinse right after getting out of the pool may help.

I use a spray oil made by Redken. It has a sunscreen and the oil itself is protective from the chlorine. There's another oil the I used to use, too,that advertised that it helped to protect against sun,chlorine and salt. I don't remember the name of that one. My hair stylist says that the main thing is to have some sort of oil or conditioner on the hair before swimming to prevent the sun and chlorine from doing its damage. Then, wash right away afterwards.
I also use a hat whenever I'm in the sun,which I think is very important.

Do you get your hair good and wet with plain water before going into the pool? Also there are special shampoos and cream rinses made that are specifically for removing/counteracting chlorine. Also get yourself a shampoo for silver hair (usually purple color), this works to keep your blonde too!

Last edited:
I use a swimmers shampoo after swimming laps called tri swim. I think its website is www.tri-swim.com It cleans out the chlorine and leaves my hair soft. They sell it at my pool

I recently joined Aqua Pilates and the chlorine seems to pull the color out of my hair. I tried a silicone swim cap and it keeps popping off. I have a large head. Is there any product that can protect hair from chlorine. I'm mostly gray and color my hair to a dark blonde. I wash my hair as soon as I'm out of the pool.

I am wearing hair extensions and I am advised to wash my hair thoroughly before entering into pool and applying oil to hair to protect from chlorine. And after swimming washing hair thoroughly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Garnier leave-in conditioner under a cap or hood. Seems to do a pretty good job of minimizing the chlorine and salt water damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom