What to pay for a used Apeks reg set..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking into buying a used Apeks regulator set. First and second stage, as well as an octopus and pressure/depth guage. I am really not sure of the model, as there is nothing obvious on this reg, such as on the new ones. I put a deposit so I could take the reg for a test dive, but before doing so, hooked the reg up to tank just to check everything out. The second stage immeditately started free flowing, and would not stop, had to turn the tank off. Took apart the second stage, and octopus, and cleaned everything thoroughly, which fixed the free flow problem.
The immediate pressure is too high, but I did not have the right tool to open the first stage today. But it may possibly just need to be cleaned, or a part may need to be replaced.

if it is the case of just needed to be cleaned (it looks as though this reg has not been used recently, or the owner never rinsed or cared for it..), what is a suitable price to pay for this reg? The seller is asking for approx $320 CND. I'm hoping to bargain it down a bit, but am wanting to know what is reasonable.

If a part does need to be replaced, obviously I will find out how much the parts kit will cost and subtract that from the asking price.
I know I haven't given too much info on the reg model, as I'm really not sure, just that it is a rather older model.

Alex, it is hard to gauge the price without knowing the model of the regulator. Recently on eBay, I picked up a TX-50/DST combo for $80. A newer XTX-100 went for $265. The older ATX-50s tend to go in the $150-$200 range. IMHO, what this person is asking to way too high, Northeast Scuba was selling new Apeks regulators for $400 a few months back. An Apeks parts kit goes for $30 or so. You can download the manuals from the frogkick site if you do not already have them. The IP is adjusted by using a 5 mm hex key.

I think you made a mistake, you should have hooked up the regulator with the owner there to see the free-flow and then bargain. If you choose not to purchase it you tuned up his reg for free. If you want an inexpensive reg then contact Dive Gear Express, you can get a new HOG first and second for $175 (plus shipping).

If the valve seat is worn(high IP) then you would have a hard time to fix it unless it is the FSR 1st stage and in that case you simply replace the seat.
Take a good look inside of the 1st stage.
Sound like the reg has been neglected by the owner.

I have seven(maybe more?) regulator sets of the most high end(read here MOST UNECESSARILY EXPENSIVE) regulators. I completely agree with ams511. Get a new HOG regulator and save yourself a lot of hassle and quite likely a lot of cash when you completely overhaul a used up old regulator. HOG makes wonderful stuff at low low prices. HOG regulators will last you a lifetime through entry level diving all the way to tech diving be it cave, tri mix, wreck...whatever. And HOGs are great for that cold Canadian water we send north from Minnesota(Laurentian Divide) as we keep the warm water to ourselves....we Minnesotans are tricky like that. As you keep diving and watching you'll get a feel for prices. Living in Canada I would think you'd invest in a drysuit next.....or a submarine!!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom