Core Drilling underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MScorpa, it is a lock wall, going from the chamber through the concrete to a 6'×6' well in the wall... so there will be a little room to play. We have a huge hydraulic unit, but will have to buy or rent the drill. Do you know the model of the drill you posted?

MScorpa, it is a lock wall, going from the chamber through the concrete to a 6'×6' well in the wall... so there will be a little room to play. We have a huge hydraulic unit, but will have to buy or rent the drill. Do you know the model of the drill you posted?

I'm not sure of the specific make and model. I got the picture from ABC Cutting Contractors of Alabama. Their website says they can drill 100' in any direction and the photo is of someone drilling 5' deep holes through a floor system. I don't use equipment of that size, only the smaller units for concrete testing and inspection, so unfortunately I can't give you any leads other than internet searches. I checked a few rental outfits that we occasionally use but they don't carry coring equipment that large. Maybe you should talk to a Stanley Hydraulic representative, they may be able to outfit you or at least steer you to someone who can.

Stanley Hydraulic Tools > Home

Does it have to be a core, or can it just be a hole? The Stanley DL-07 is a bit small for an 8" hole, but the HD-45 and the SK-58 are bigger tools.

Does it have to be a core, or can it just be a hole? The Stanley DL-07 is a bit small for an 8" hole, but the HD-45 and the SK-58 are bigger tools.

The HD-45 will only accomodate up to a 4" diameter core bit and the SK-58 will drill up to 20' deep but only up to a 3" diameter hole (according to Stanley). Typically multiple small holes could be drilled to open it up to 8" diameter but over a length of 20' that would be impractical. The above drills may work but it would be a gamble.

Well, after 2 months of calls, emails, and internet searches... looks like we have found the right equipment for the job. Just waiting for final approval before we head up north and give it a go. I was lucky enough to find a supplier here in the midwest that runs his own drilling business on the side, and he had tons of experience with larger core rigs and drilling with the barrel bits. Changing subjects, but dove all week this week with our new hot water diving system and it was nice. I won't be tossing the old drysuit just yet, but I am really digging the hot water suits.

Thanks for all of the replys about the core rigs...

Please let us know how it went...

Thanks for all of the replys about the core rigs...

Did you mention at one point that you're drilling into a chamber?

If the chamber isn't pressurized or flooded, there will be about 900 pounds of pressure holding the bit in the hole, once you break through. (8" circle is about 100 sq inches of surface area * ((20/33)*14.7))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom