Anyone ever dove drunk... ?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never dove drunk, but I have absolutely been on a boat begging for the dive briefing to be over so I could get in the water and blow chum... I really try not to do drink anymore the night before the dive, it just ruins the experience. Now the last day before I fly? Game on! I make up for lost time!

Never dived after consuming alcohol the same day. Once very new into the scuba world I stayed up a little late drinking before a volunteer dive to clean the buoy lines at the marine park. Woke up a little hungover and decided to go. Hungover and sea swell did not mix well. Never have had more than a two beers the night before diving again.

I have done all manner of things while drunk. Some of which I did not remember, nor know about, until informed by friends at a later date. However, all of those errors in judgement would have allowed me to breathe after a misstep.

I have not, I will not ever dive drunk. I can not breathe under water without the proper operation of my scuba kit. If I'm incapacitated, using my kit may be a problem.

Google "flouro diving".

That's totally freaky without violating the Sabath!

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 07:34 AM ----------

IMO that should be reserved for those who blaspheme or violate the Sabath, but that seems a little off topic...

I am not "well versed" on the topic (green stuff) but I was under the impression what its also used and scripted as medcine in some countries/states??? The stuff also have an intoxicating effect similiar to alcohol I hear, thus my question.

I don't drive before I dive... I don't believe in DUI (well, except for the drysuit company), Diving Under the Influence. In fact I almost never take a drink the night before a dive... which basically means I rarely drink at all except in winter.

However, I can relate a story from our waters. A while back three men left a bar early in the morning, went out to their boat and put on dive gear to go catch lobsters. They were drunk, lobsters were out of season and only one of the three was certified. Only two came back alive... the certified diver died. The moral of the story? Don't dive drunk if you're certified?

I know a guy that does/did it regularly. I won't dive with him again or allow him to fill my tanks.

I drink, but not dive or fill tanks and drink. Nuff said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Monster drinking sessions are the norm at my club and there are very few without hangovers on dive trips. I don't advocate it but it does happen and I don't think it is just us doing it.

Years ago, before I started diving, the club went to Norway. They were on a boat with another group, who were Dutch. Sadly one of the Dutch group was brought to the surface unresponsive and died. Everybody had been in the pub the previous night, but the skipper and the Dutch lads just had a bite to eat and a couple of quiet pints. Our lot, in typical fashion, were ripping it up. When the skipper saw the dead diver being brought aboard, he did not know who it was but assumed it was one of our lot. The skipper marched over to Arthur, the owner of the dive school the club is attached to and a former Royal Navy diver and shouted "Somebody is dead! It will be one of your divers! Your divers were drunk last night!". Arthur knew our lot were all accounted for, replied nonchalantly, "My divers always dive drunk!"

..No..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom