Bye Suunto, been nice knowing you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, after diving through two Cobras (one died thanks to me getting some water in the HP opening thanks to not drying the QD well enough) and two D9s (one stolen), not to mention having a spare gauge set, I'm not able to recommend their product.

My father has a Cobra2 with a whopping 25 dives on it. In preparation for this dive trip, he discovered its battery was dead. Ok... fine. No big deal, right. We'll just get that replaced when we get there. Not so fast, apparently. After battery replacement, it now shows "Er1". The shop has pursued this with both the repair side of Suunto US (aka AquaLung) and their rep. There's no love.

No offer of discounted replacement... just a "yeah, that's not reparable. This happens when it doesn't get dived for while."

So, Suunto, after dropping thousands of dollars on your products, and recommending your product to many others as my experience is that it is rock solid (and when something happens, you take care of the customer), I can no longer make either claim. I had might as well start looking for features instead of the tried & true... because you've lost the latter and never really had the former.

I'll start by saying I've never had an issue with my Suunto D4i, with hundreds of dives, travel, use, abuse, etc, BUT, I can certainly understand frustration with a manufacturer and getting satisfactory service, etc. HOWEVER, (and I'm not trying to be an a$$ here), but your first paragraph is a bit contradictory. Allow me to paraphrase; "I have 4 Suunto's that suck, well actually I only have 2 that suck. The other 2, one of them I screwed up myself and the other was stolen". Just sayin'.

As far as the Cobra 2, just how long has it been sitting ? 25 dives over how long ?

I was wondering how long the computer has been sitting as well. I like quality products, but I can't fault a manufacturer if the item sits for a year or more and fails as a result.

Kristopher

My D9 and Cobra have been solid. And when the Cobra needed service 5 years ago, Suunto totally came to the table, despite it being as old as the Cobra 2 is now.

The Cobra2 had been out of the water for about two years... If the battery had leaked or otherwise caused corrosion, etc, that's one thing. But this complete lack of any sort of offer to keep us with Suunto is ridiculous. Heck, I'd probably not have made this post if they offered even 5% off a new Suunto product.

Bummer that Suunto did not come through for you like last time. Sounds like the computer was well out of warranty. Too bad yer not in the US cause they have five year pro rated warranty. However, as a dive pro you can get a new Suunto via key pricing. Which should be more than 5% seems like I got close to 25%.

That said, some companies have gotten to be pretty hard core on warranty issues. Suunto is no exception. And with computers they are basically treated as consumable goods that are not repaired.

when its an items that is obsolete for while... its really hard for the company tobdo anything. They dun have the parts or machines to make any....

I don't see how or why a computer that's been sitting unused for a year or two, save battery corrosion/leakage should fail and if this something that can or does occur it should be printed in the instruction manual. If be pretty pissed if a computer I had not used for one year failed through no use. Having said that simple solution is to dive more.

So, after diving through two Cobras (one died thanks to me getting some water in the HP opening thanks to not drying the QD well enough) and two D9s (one stolen), not to mention having a spare gauge set, I'm not able to recommend their product.

My father has a Cobra2 with a whopping 25 dives on it. In preparation for this dive trip, he discovered its battery was dead. Ok... fine. No big deal, right. We'll just get that replaced when we get there. Not so fast, apparently. After battery replacement, it now shows "Er1". The shop has pursued this with both the repair side of Suunto US (aka AquaLung) and their rep. There's no love.

No offer of discounted replacement... just a "yeah, that's not reparable. This happens when it doesn't get dived for while."

So, Suunto, after dropping thousands of dollars on your products, and recommending your product to many others as my experience is that it is rock solid (and when something happens, you take care of the customer), I can no longer make either claim. I had might as well start looking for features instead of the tried & true... because you've lost the latter and never really had the former.

So let me get this straight...you readily admit that one died by you failing to properly TAKE CARE of your computer and another was stolen because you failed to properly SECURE your gear. Now you're upset because someone else is having problems with a Cobra that had a dead battery, not a low battery, a dead battery. Then you go to a different shop who says that Suunto won't authorize repairs or cut you a discount because you've spent thousands of dollars on their products. Products that you readily admit are usually rock solid with an excellent record of customer service...

See where I'm going with this?

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...you readily admit that one died by you failing to properly TAKE CARE of your computer and another was stolen because you failed to properly SECURE your gear. Now your upset because someone else is having problems with a Cobra that had a dead battery, not a low battery, a dead battery. Then you go to a different shop who says that Suunto won't authorize repairs or cut you a discount because you've spent thousands of dollars on their products. Products that you readily admit are usually rock solid with an excellent record of customer service...

See where I'm going with this?

That's pretty much how I read it too.

Nice to see you posting again Kris. Going to hang around for a while?

R..

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

Kris one word "Shearwater

Dave, how robust ARE the Shearwater computers? I've been thinking I may buy a computer with an OLED screen but most of the people I know keep coming back to Suunto (having spent a fortune on bad purchases) just because Suunto makes computers that work.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom