Cozumel or Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, for a vacation with diving I like Hawaii.....for a diving vacation I prefer Coz.

That about sums it up. Also, once you get to Cozumel, you will find it MUCH cheaper than any place in HI. We eat at all the little hole in the wall joints and can have a filling quality meal for $8 each with a beverage. Dives are around $75 for a two tank boat trip, and you can get a room for less than $50 a night if you just want a bed and a shower.

We like the Blue Angel for a semi inclusive, affordable, and basic accommodation with great food, great location, and a great dive op on site.

The diving in Cozumel is FABULOUS!!!

You can read a review of our last trip.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/451107-trip-report-pics-links-vids-love-ba.html

Having been to both Kona and Coz plenty of times, I completely agree that vacation + diving = Kona while dive vacation = Coz. If you want vacation + diving while trying something new and getting to try Coz, go to Playa del Carmen. More stuff to do, dead center between cenotes, Coz, the underwater museum in Cancun, whale sharks (depending on time of year), and in my experience, less expensive. Just an idea, it's what I do now, but I'm also more into cave diving than drift dives these days.

I struggled for while as well on whether to keep going to Hawaii or try somewhere different. We had been going to Hawaii for decades, but one year my wife had a trip to New York, so I tried Cozumel. It was a bit more money for the flight, plus one stop in Houston, but did arrive at noon in Coz (United now) and was in the water by 2pm.
Now I am "hooked" on Coz.
Why, well from the airport to the hotel is just a matter of minutes using shuttle (average price about $8).
Restaurants are plentiful and the food is good. Lots of selections, from Italian, Cuban, Argentine, etc. Prices are much less the US.
Service at resorts, restaurants, dive shops is wonderful. People in general are pretty darn friendly in COZ.
Booze. I like to have my beer and Margaritas. Beer is cheap, fairly decent selections of brews and the Margaritas, well hey it's Mexico.
Resorts/hotel range from budget to quite fancy, but in my price range 80-100 night you can get a really nice setup with an outrageous ocean view, something that is impossible in Hawaii unless you quadruple the price.
Diving. Well I had always gone to Hawaii mostly for the surfing and really only did snorkeling there when the surf was down.
That being said I feel the diving in COZ is great and again it is much cheaper than it would be in Hawaii.
If you do a bit of a search you will find many good dive ops, and resorts here on SB.
Good luck and if you do decide on COZ you will not be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom