Some FL questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJosh1029

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everybody,
So it looks like I might be moving to florida in the fall. My girlfriend who is graduating with a bachelors in air traffic control is applying to Embry Riddle Aeronautical college in Daytona beach for her masters. Of course I am going to with her. While we aren't sure where we are going to rent yet we know we would like to be within 30 to 60 mins tops from Daytona beach. My mother lives in St. Augustine so we may go closer to there. Anybody have any helpful tips? Here are some of my questions.
1. We liked the looks of Palm Coast but have heard ALOT of negative reviews about it (no work being the biggest) Could anybody shed some light on this?
2. Is there any area near Daytona beach that are good diving areas?
3. I mostly shore dive because of financial reasons and not knowing any boat owners. Is there any shore diving in that area of Florida or is it all beaches with big waves to get through.
4. I guess my biggest question is what to expect diving wise. I'm used to low low visibilty, cold water, and not really anything that is going to eat you. What am I in for?

I've lived in the ME/NH seacoast my whole life and its time to relocate. I CANNOT take another winter. I just can't do it. I figure I should do it while I'm relatively young.. (30)
If anybody has any insight I would love to hear back from ya.
Thanks a ton,
Josh

Hey everybody,
So it looks like I might be moving to florida in the fall. My girlfriend who is graduating with a bachelors in air traffic control is applying to Embry Riddle Aeronautical college in Daytona beach for her masters. Of course I am going to with her. While we aren't sure where we are going to rent yet we know we would like to be within 30 to 60 mins tops from Daytona beach. My mother lives in St. Augustine so we may go closer to there. Anybody have any helpful tips? Here are some of my questions.
1. We liked the looks of Palm Coast but have heard ALOT of negative reviews about it (no work being the biggest) Could anybody shed some light on this?
2. Is there any area near Daytona beach that are good diving areas?
3. I mostly shore dive because of financial reasons and not knowing any boat owners. Is there any shore diving in that area of Florida or is it all beaches with big waves to get through.
4. I guess my biggest question is what to expect diving wise. I'm used to low low visibilty, cold water, and not really anything that is going to eat you. What am I in for?

I've lived in the ME/NH seacoast my whole life and its time to relocate. I CANNOT take another winter. I just can't do it. I figure I should do it while I'm relatively young.. (30)
If anybody has any insight I would love to hear back from ya.
Thanks a ton,
Josh
I think the closest shore dive of worth is known as Pecks Lake in Fort Pierce. The area as far north as Daytona, and even Fort Pierce, has the gulf stream so far out, that there is poor visibility on most days.....on the other hand, the fish population is large. Off of fort pierce, I did plenty of diving between 12 and 20 miles from shore.....Ultimately you will probably end up preferring a weekend of diving in Palm Beach, where the diving is spectacular, and good shore dives are possible.
  1. Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park at Singer Island
  2. Pumphouse dive along Jetty at Singer Island
  3. Breakers shallow reef dive off the Public Beach by the Breakers Resort on the Island of Palm Beach

I just came back from an extended business trip to the Melbourne area. Before I went I did like you and asked around on the board about good dive locations. A DanVolker has said, most of the suggestions were to go to West Palm Beach or Jupiter for the best diving. I did both and had a great time. I didn't do any shore dives but have heard there are several good spots. Blue Heron Bridge is one that a co-worker in Melbourne has told me is a good spot.

Another option is some of the springs in the Williston area; its about a 100 miles from Daytona Beach (compared to 180 miles to Jupiter or 140 to Ft Pierce): Devil's Den and Blue Grotto are two that I've dove. You can look at reviews on this site (along with other suggested beach dive sites). Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Florida, USA East I've also heard you can beach dive in Vero (125 miles from Daytona), but the conditions are very weather dependent; if there is any wave action or wind coming from the east, there is no vis.

Maybe some locals can weigh in on the ocean topography in the Daytona area, but from what I understand, its all sand and no structure. Like Dan said, you'll need to come south to find some near shore structure you can swim to. I'll also confirm what Dan said about Palm Beach county: the diving is great from Jupiter down to Boynton.

I predict you are in for a cavern course, followed by a new side mount rig, a canister light and most likely a 7 foot hose. Dive Ginnie Springs to start.

here on the Treasure Coast (Sebastian to Fort Pierce) we have very easy access shore diving. Some really nice reef (rock mostly) structure and lots of sea life. Sharks and turtles are common here. Beach dives are weather dependent and viz is hit and miss. On a nice spring/summer day we'll have awesome 50' viz and tons of fish. Other days we'll have a murky 10 feet. the boat diving in Jupiter is world-class. Check out Home - CAPT SL8R. Awesome dive operator. Also visit the Vero Beach Scuba club on Facebook or on meetup.com. we frequently have beach dives...and especially spring/summer.

Thank you guys for all the replies. The big thing now is I'm starting to get cold feet about moving there because of the lack of shore diving. Up here in New England I try to dive 2+ times a week. At only $7 a tank fill, thats not bad. But chartering a boat every weekend is certainly not going to happen. Specially when I'm not sure if I will be able to find work or not. I would definitely hit up the springs but since they are a few hours away no week day after work diving will happen :( I'm used to being able to go diving whenever theres a couple of hours of free time. '
What about the harbor or bay area in St Augustine? Are you allowed to dive there? Do people not do it just because the lower visibility? Is it a gator issue? I'm hoping to find a few answers because sure I'll get on a boat here and there or hit the springs but theres times when I just wanna do a leisurely dive and get wet but can't afford a charter. How do you guys do it? Don't forget where I dive alot is in the Piscataqua river in Portsmouth NH ( where a big tanker ship hit the bridge if you saw it on the news.) Its the 7th fastest navigable current in the world and never gets above 15 20 ft vis. Usually its 10 ft or less.... So I'm used to low vis.
Thanks guys and girls

Locally in Fort Pierce we have diveable viz in summer but it is a dice roll. I am told north of vero there is zero shore diving.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best. I see your thing at the bottom saying come yak diving with us. That intrigues me. I have spent countless hours in a sea kayak and have been thinking about getting a sit on top. would that greatly improve my dive-ability? Like maybe reefs that are just off the beach but too far to swim? I'm going to look at the Florida yak diving section now....

There is shore diving anywhere from Vero South.I used to do day trips with my kayak so I could get further out but shore entries can be made at the parks that dot A1A.There are several dive guides that give directions to public access.Best vis I've had was 50' normally it's 20'ish.Big bugs can be found in 8' of water on out at times.If you spearfish or don't mind going with guys who do there is diving year round out of Ponce,St. Augustine and Jax on private boats on a cost share basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom