Save A Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many threads on this. I can say that my kit as saved me-- and at least 2 buddies-- dives a number of times. Mask straps are fine, but I would always include a spare mask. Who wants to fool with re-strapping a mask with all your gear on?

If you dive a prescription mask like I do, then the spare mask should also be prescription. But the spare mask might better be carried on you rather than back above water.

The more I learn about regulator rebuilding, the more stuff goes into mine, but now I'm faced with the task of winnowing it down for my upcoming trip out of the country! All those tools get heavy! The reason I'm carrying so much stuff around for local diving is that I want to be able to help my divers solve problems so that THEIR dive is saved, so I've decided that my objective in my choices of what to carry on a plane are going to be only what I need to save MY OWN dive. I'll ask my buddy to carry the stuff he needs for HIS OWN dive, and if he doesn't want to do that, he can either carry my expanded S-a-D kit in his luggage or miss a dive.

The more I learn about regulator rebuilding, the more stuff goes into mine, but now I'm faced with the task of winnowing it down for my upcoming trip out of the country! All those tools get heavy! The reason I'm carrying so much stuff around for local diving is that I want to be able to help my divers solve problems so that THEIR dive is saved, so I've decided that my objective in my choices of what to carry on a plane are going to be only what I need to save MY OWN dive. I'll ask my buddy to carry the stuff he needs for HIS OWN dive, and if he doesn't want to do that, he can either carry my expanded S-a-D kit in his luggage or miss a dive.

I agree with you. All these suggestions are great and I would love to carry a spare of everything; however, most of my diving requires a plane ride and all that equipment is heavy and takes up space. I have been trying to come up with a list that will cover 90% of issues but not overload my luggage. For the big items like regulator I have to count on being able to rent a replacement.

Anything and everything I can put into my van that is diving related. :D.

Actually I have quite a reputation. One dive someone forgot their wing, so they were pointed my direction and guess what, I had a spare for them.

In all seriousness I drive for 3-1/2 hours one way to dive so I don't want to not dive due to equipment problems (nor do I want to dive with malfunctioning gear). I carry a spare suit, seals, full repair kit (o-rings, tools, hoses, spare spg), full back up regulator, wing, plate (all three have been used - but not by me), mask and mask/fin straps, extra gloves, lights. It all fits into just one extra plastic box - plenty of room in my minivan and it has saved several diver's days.

The key is knowing how to use whatever you bring.

All of the above are good. On training weekends locally I take tools, parts, and o rings and the rest of the things listed, but I always take a complete second set of gear. On trips, we take all parts needed to service each bc and reg, batteries for computers as well as lights, and tools. I also take a second rig with 1st stage, 2nd stage, octo, low pressure hose and computer and spg console. We haven't lost a dive day to equipment failure yet.
DivemasterDennis

The more I learn about regulator rebuilding, the more stuff goes into mine, but now I'm faced with the task of winnowing it down for my upcoming trip out of the country! All those tools get heavy! ...

Do be aware that regional flight requirements vary, especially for what's allowed in carry-on.

I ran into a minor hassle in Cayman two years ago because they prohibit all "small hand tools" in carry-on baggage...I was nabbed because of a small screw driver (#0 phillips) and a small adjustable open-end wrench in my UW Camera bag (carry-on).

-hh

So far the only thing I have used in my kit is the extra mouth piece for the reg. I carry basic tools, o-rings, mouthpiece, mask and zip ties.

But that's why you carry the save-a-dive kit.... As long as you have it ,you'll not need it.... Leave it home "ONE" time and 6 things will break...:rofl3::rofl3:

Murphys Law.....:wink:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom