Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, so the captain had the boat sitting idle in the water completely stopped near the mouth of the inlet and the boat just got rolled by a wave when he was sitting there completely stopped and not underway?

Sounds like he should have stopped further offshore and got everyone situated, before entering into the dangerous shallow water area. Defintely don't want to be completely stopped and sitting vulnerable with no ability to maneuver the boat in the shallow area....Is that correct?

NO that is not correct... have you ever piloted a boat into East Coast Fla inlets? It is not just tidal currents, but you get cross currents and wind born waves that just spring up. Boats rarely come to a full stop, usually idle speed to assess the current and the best way to get in the inlet with the current. One is busy looking forward, not backward to assess the forward situation.

Also, isn't pitch poleing the result of being underway, a large wave over taking from the stern, accelerating the vessel as it slides down the front face of the wave, causing the captain to loose steerage and then the bow goes under, the boat shifts left or right, and then the wave lifts the vessel from the rear and the side and flips it?

Yes that is the classical definition of the pitchpoling.

I've been on boats where that very nearly happened twice..coming in inlets... with outgoing tides and waves etc... As far as I know, the only way to survive this occurance is to have enough power to get ahead of the wave and keep steerage and/or be lucky.

Nice theory... there are a lot of variables in that kind of situation. Each incident is totally unique unto itself. It depends on a multitude of factors.. As you said "enough power" that is not going to happen in a sailboat, esp a smaller one with a 9.9 OB on back or a catamaran such as the one in this incident.

I will say this again... its easy to armchair analyze if you were not there, not the captain and have a bent for critique. It was a tragic accident. In this case, one that more than likely could not be avoided.

I am going to wait for the USCG report before I criticize, if at all. Until then my sympathies to all involved.

For those critics out there. I am sure the Captain will go to his grave second guessing himself and asking what he could have done differently to have avoided this tragedy.

My sister was on the beach right after this incident happened and took some photos of the surf. It was certainly rough at the beach. She phoned me and told me about the search and rescue operation going on. I have dived out of Pompano Beach more than any other place in the world. Hillsboro Inlet is normally tricky at best. There are 2 permanent dredges constantly removing sand from the channel. The captain of the Coral Princess is a seasoned veteran and has timed the swells and waves before entering the inlet more than he can probably count. I have to surmise that Sandy changed the dynamics on the floor and the captain was taken completely by surprise. SFDH is a top notch organization run exceptionally well by the owners.
This is a tragic event. It sounds to me like a freak of nature that caused it. Hopefully, the USCG will not share in the fault on this one like they did in Baltimore when they certified the stricken vessel as a "sister ship" to a larger and more stable vessel.
My thoughts, prayers and condolences to all affected by this accident.

I highly doubt any charter operator in Palm Beach County ventured out of an inlet that day. Nuts!

Interesting that so many feel the need to pin blame on someone . . .Sometimes things just happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO that is not correct... have you ever piloted a boat into East Coast Fla inlets? It is not just tidal currents, but you get cross currents and wind born waves that just spring up. Boats rarely come to a full stop, usually idle speed to assess the current and the best way to get in the inlet with the current. One is busy looking forward, not backward to assess the forward situation.

Yes that is the classical definition of the pitchpoling.

Nice theory... there are a lot of variables in that kind of situation. Each incident is totally unique unto itself. It depends on a multitude of factors.. As you said "enough power" that is not going to happen in a sailboat, esp a smaller one with a 9.9 OB on back or a catamaran such as the one in this incident.

I will say this again... its easy to armchair analyze if you were not there, not the captain and have a bent for critique. It was a tragic accident. In this case, one that more than likely could not be avoided.

I am going to wait for the USCG report before I criticize, if at all. Until then my sympathies to all involved.

For those critics out there. I am sure the Captain will go to his grave second guessing himself and asking what he could have done differently to have avoided this tragedy.

I was not there and was simply trying to interpret what the witness (passenger) experienced. I don't know what happened, and I have been out of that inlet once.

However, I have made many, hairy inlet runs with outgoing tide and seas etc. I know it can be dangerous and tricky and there really is no substitute for power. On the other hand, the description of being rolled when the boat is in neutral is very different than a situation where a captain tries to time the sets, gets into position and makes the run.

Not that I am an expert on this at all, but you need to have your head on a swivel and be looking behind you as much as forward. As I mentioned, twice I have been EXTREMELY close to flipping large boats 35-40 foot single hull boats.. and people got hurt, tanks went flying etc.

I have seen those boats before, they are wide and I consider them to be more of a pontoon boat than a real Cat, but they look large, with very limited power and they do not have a big bow that will provide a huge increase in buoyancy as it submerges. I stand by my comment that there is no substitute for power and this means that some vessels are vastly more vulnerable than others in these types of following seas, standing waves, outgoing tide and then superposition of incoming waves.

Once the boat gets in a particular situation, there is not a whole lot that can be done AND it happens very, very fast...

Let me preface my remarks by saying that they are not meant to be mean spirited, and I add for the sake of those who feel that taking this thing apart is useless armchair speculation, that discussion regarding the incident may very well save someone else's life or property. Even if the discussion is speculation, a ton of knowledge and experience can be passed on to others who may one day find it very, very useful. While I agree that blaming has no place in this discussion, trying to understand what happened and how to avoid tragedies like this in the future does.

I don't really understand some your remarks regarding piloting East Coast inlets, and understand but believe to be dangerous others.

Here is from start to finish how I navigate Boynton Inlet in a groundswell.

The process starts before the trip with a visit to the inlet. I look at the inlet and ask myself the question "If I lose power in the middle of the surf zone, do these waves look big enough to roll my boat over?" If the answer is yes, we scrub the mission. If the answer is no, I look at the status of the tides at the times when we'll be navigating the inlet and make an educated guess at what the inlet will look like with those tide states. If my mind's eye pictures my boat rolling if I lose power then, we scrub the mission.

Now Mother Nature does not always get the memo from my mind's eye and I sometimes have found myself in a very tricky situation. A large ground sea is very dangerous if you cant keep up with the waves. Little center consoles have enough speed that they can even run parallel to the swell in the trough the whole way in. I don't have that kind of speed. My boat's good for about 17 knots with a full load. I have to ride perpendicular to the swell and in the trough. This requires that my boat fit in the trough, in other words enough space between the swells, and that I can keep up with the swell. The wave to come in behind is one that occurs just after the big set comes through. It is very, very important at this point to understand what is happening and what is about to happen as far as the groundswell is concerned.

It is to this end that I will sit idle in neutral outside of the break and try to glean information about the bottom by studying the breaking waves. What I surmise from this will determine the path over the bar that i take. After that I am constantly looking both behind me and up the beach to identify the big set. Which one it is, and how many waves are in it. Once I've figured it out, I let the set pass and throttle up. I put my bow just behind one of the next couple of waves after the set (the smallest available) clench my buttocks and power over the bar totally concentrating on staying exactly in the same place relative to the back of that small wave I'm riding behind. I am utterly unconcerned with any sort of wind chop which would be to me, be like stopping to tie your shoes so that you don't trip and fall when a freight train is barreling down on you. I traverse the bar, unclench and light a smoke once my hands stop shaking.

I'd like to think that this is how most captain's are doing it, and that this is, in fact what the sfdh captain was doing. The passenger remarked that they were idling waiting to time the set or something to that effect, which makes sense to me. It's what I would have been doing too.

The media reported that a "rogue wave" (a term which I think they used incorrectly in order to sensationalize the story) popped up out of nowhere. This also makes sense because groundswells are kinda flat, wide waves until the water gets shallow enough that they stand up. With no fly bridge it's much harder to see the big sets because you're so low that you can't see past the small ones. You don't see the big one until it's literally the next wave. It would appear to have "come from nowhere".

Because the depth that causes a wave to break is proportionate to its size, larger waves break farther from shore than smaller ones. This can cause problems, because in order to understand what's happening on the sand bar, you need to be kinda close to it. Especially if you're low to the water.

There have been more than a few times that I've been watching the break from what i thought was a safe distance, looked behind me and realized that I was about to be in a very bad spot. I had the advantage of looking out from 13 or 14 feet up in the air, and being able to see 10 or 15 waves back. If you can only see one wave back, there really aren't gonna be too many options if you find yourself in a situation like this, because by the time you realize what's up, you're already done unless you have a very fast boat.

Is this a definitive answer to what happened that day? No, not as far as I know. Could these circumstances lead to the tragic events of Thanksgiving? Absolutely, in my opinion. Is it worth discussing? I hope so.

Lastly I would like to agree with your point regarding sfdh's captain. I don't know what I would do if this had happened to me, except sit there and wish there was some way to go back and do it over, some way to make it end differently. I really feel for that guy who will live the rest of his life tormented by that day, as much as I feel for the family of the vicitim.

Last edited:
Wow Kevin, I can picture exactly what you wrote. I've been out of both inlets (as well as Boca). In my opinion, Hillsboro is the trickiest. The captain in question has waited out many sets before bringing his boat in. He KNEW that inlet. I can only imagine that Sandy changed the rules and he didn't take that into consideration. Thank you for sharing this information.

I do not have the experience and knowledge of many posting here but in my personal experience on that specific boat I would not call it "very stable". Years ago I specifically remember being out on it and having just stowed my gear I used a small bungee to fasten my bag to the support rail of the seat. Shortly after the little pontoon boat stuffed a wave and put a little one foot wash over bow to stern washing away all kinds of loose gear (fins, mask, snorkels, towels). This is not what I'd call a Catamaran it is a Pantoon boat and they absolutley float different. That outfit is great for large groups on nice summer days the deck space is awesome but I did not dig it much on pitching seas the dozen or so times I dove it.

I've had a lot of experience with the Hillsboro, Boca and Boynton Inlets. Hillsboro is the "least treacherous" of the three, Boynton more so the Boca.

When it comes to weather and boating in this area, it's not uncommon to plan a trip around the tide. I have had trips where I have approached the mouth of the inlet and decided to "try another day." I have fished tournaments where I went out in conditions I normally would stay home; only to appear at the weigh-in due to adequate power combined with a forgiving hull design. I have also been out at times with an outgoing tide, northeast wind and a big north swell, I knew it would be unsafe to come in one of these inlets and took the time to motor down to Port Everglades or north to the Palm Beach Inlet. It's better to come home a couple of hours late then have sea tow dragging your inverted hull.

You can look at this most recent incident and dissect it any way you choose, but without the unlikely event of some type of mechanical failure, the Captain of the vessel is clearly at fault. The whys, and hows make little difference. The Captain failed to negotiate the inlet and a person is dead. With 23 aboard, he is lucky the number is not higher.

So for me, the question we should be asking is.... How do you know if your captain is competent? What kind of record does he have? Has he been involved in any incidents recently.

We have Captains in south Florida that have lost their entire complement of divers due to the inability to judge wind and current.

We have Captains that while diving, abandoned their dive partner to have them found four days later by a fishing charter.

We have Captains (in this case fishing, not diving) come up to the dock carrying a 6 pack with 4 already gone.

You can't board a dive boat down here with out signing a release that absolves the operator of any and all wrong doing. So how can the average person know if they are going out with a Captain who is truly safe?

Here's a list my do's

I have learned, when I'm on a boat other then mine (which is not very often); I trust no one.

I will never board a vessel with an inboard engine that is powered by gasoline.

I will ask the captain questions.

I will know where the life jackets and fire extinguishers are located.

I will know in advance what I will do in an emergency situation.

I am always on the alert coming or going out the inlet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom