A Rhode Island Yankee moves to Milwaukee (Introduction)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Sutton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to check in with the wreckers here, and to say "Howdy". I'm just recently relocated from Rhode Island and New Jersey to Wisconsin, and came here because of the great wreck diving as well as one certain great dive boat. Those who know me will probably remember that I have been a cold water wreck diver since 1974, worked as a Mate, and Captain of several East Coast wreck diving boats including the old Seeker and Wahoo, and have been running my own boat, EXPLORER, for offshore diving trips since 2007. We dive little hangs like the Andrea Doria, etc., nothing to be too terribly excited about. Well, we did bring up the bell from the Doria two seasons ago, but since that's not culturally accepted in the Lakes enough about that... :wink:

These days I've teamed up with the MOLLY V out of Milwaukee, and with Jitka, who goes here by CzechDiver. We both dive rebreathers, and are interested in both diving the wrecks that have been located already as well as in looking for new wrecks. I put a Klein 3000 Sidescan Sonar aboard MOLLY V, so we have some pretty state of the art tools for assisting our searching. The diving in the lakes is spectacular, and was enough to get me to pack my bags and come here permanently. What else... (scratches head)... MOLLY V does both recreational and technical diving in an area ranging from Whitefish Bay to Presque Isle, and down thru the entirety of Lake Michigan. She's the biggest trailerable dive boat in the lakes, and we move her from spot to spot to support diving wherever the water and weather is best. With my participation, we have added technical diving instruction and rebreather instruction to our offerings, as I've been diving rebreathers since about 1978 and have worked with almost every commercially manufactured rebreather ever built, as well as a dozen or some homebuilts, and have been teaching them for many years. So let's just say that our minds are open to every sort of new technology. Jitka has been running MOLLY V for several years now, and I know how hard she works to make everything perfect and to see to the success of her divers. Come and visit and dive!

For those who have followed the adventures of my own boat, EXPLORER, don't despair: We are taking her south to Florida and the Bahamas starting from Rhode Island in about three weeks, and plan to offer small-party liveaboard diving trips based out of Florida and running to places like the Tortugas starting in the 2013-2014 season. This winter is all about getting her south and getting our home port established.

Not a lot else, just wanted to say "Hi". Jitka and I are presenting at the Shipwrecks and Technology symposium in Muskegon on October 20th. We will be presenting on how modern electronics have revolutionized shipwreck research, location, and exploration. Come and say hi, and it'll be a pleasure to meet and greet. Here's a link to our talk:

From Grapnel Hooks and Double Hose Regulators to Sidescan Sonar and Mixed Gas Rebreathers | shipwrecksandtechnolgy.org

Big change for me: DAVE!! leave your hammer... chisel.... crowbar... goodie-bag... at home. It's all good, and you have superb wrecks here. It's been a real education.

Best,

Capt. Dave Sutton
www.shipwreckexplorers.com

Last edited:
Welcome Dave! The Molly V is a great boat and Jitka always a pleasure to dive with. I hope to have a chance to dive with you guys again next summer.

Welcome Dave!

Looking forward to meeting you and followoing your adventures.

Paula

Welcome to the area Dave, I assume you'll be at the Our World Underwater and Ghostships Shaow this coming winter.... two great places to network and make plans for the upcoming season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom