Miflex Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Having never used Milflex hosing I am curious of the advantages/disadvantages of going this route? Do you use them on all hoses, primary, secondary,gauges,bcd's or what. Are there advantges of mixing and matching? Are there other hoses to consider? Looking forward to your input on this.

Thanks,
Bobby

Their HP hoses have had failures and are subject to a voluntary recall (in the US and Canada anyway). They have a different design out now but I'm over them.

Nobody much likes them for long (>=6') hoses, but apart from that the LP ones are good, more flexible (easier to pack), don't stiffen up under pressure (less 'pull' on your second stage) and lighter (if you're really interested in saving a few grams). On the down side they're more expensive.

I use Miflex on all LP hoses <=5' for longer than that (e.g. 7' long hose) I use regular hoses as the Miflex are 'floaty' and have a funny 'memory' if you don't route them carefully.

HP I did use Miflex but have switched to Phantom, although they were also recently subject to a (limited) recall - happily mine fell outside of the recall batch numbers and no issues so far

the only drawbacks I have found so far (and I use Phantom):

1. Fabric is "harsh" on your gear. Had "pilled" the surface of my hood where it lies when I wrap it (7' hose)
2. the fabric also catches and retains the algae/slime in it, and requires extra effort to clean it up.

Some claim "floaty" (usually those with Miflex), but I do not seem to experience it with Phantom. I do find them to be more flexible than rubber. This is only year 1, so the jury is out.... Overall I'm currently pleased.

I do have the "new" Miflex hose that was sent to me under the voluntary recall, replacing a previous hose. My only dislike is the inability to swivel the gauge once pressurized. I also have a Phantom HP, (outside the recall lot), but have not gone to it. The "normal" diameter has some appeal to me.... not sure why....

Hmmm, not exactly a rousing recomendation to switch although it might be good on the primary with less tug on your regulator as you turn your head.

I would say if you are experiencing first stage tug and/or value easier packing, and don't mind paying a small premium, get a primary LP hose and see what you think of it before you make any other changes.

Otherwise, stick with your current hoses

I got a miflex on my primary lp hose to stop the tugging and associated jaw fatigue. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I only use miflex hoses, never had an issue.

just tried out a miflex 7' bright yellow long hose
personally,i think it sucks
thought it would be a good idea,but it wants to coil itself
i'm back to rubber
i guess old habits die hard
have fun
yaeg

My wife, son and I all switched to miflex from regular hoses. None of us are interested in changing back (I kept the original hoses as backups).

MUCH easier to pack. With regular hoses, it was a fight to get 2 reg sets in my packing bag. With miflex, I can wrap, coil, and knot the hoses easily so 3 reg sets fit in the bag.

We color-coded our hoses. Having the Octo on bright yellow miflex makes it easier to spot. Having the hose stay flexible under pressure helps keep it tucked into my BCD's Octo pocket. Using someone else's Octo on a miflex hose is easier because the hose is so flexible.

My wife and son have Atomic B2 regs that came with swivels. They removed the swivels when we switched to miflex and they are happier with miflex.

We feel the miflex is more comfortable because of the freedom of motion (no stiffness).

We haven't had a miflex hose fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom