Sidemount wetsuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldnt want to fumble with things in a pouch behind me. Sounds like a good way to lose something. Never had to belly crawl on a boat either. Not trying to convince anyone, just describing what works for me with a wetsuit.

I wouldnt want to fumble with things in a pouch behind me. Sounds like a good way to lose something..

The 'usual technique', when taught in sidemount classes, is to unclip the pouch, bring it forwards, access what you need, then return the pouch behind you.

The 'butt pouch' would normally be clipped on using bolt-snaps or double-enders for that specific reason.

Never had to belly crawl on a boat either. Not trying to convince anyone, just describing what works for me with a wetsuit.

The poster is from the UK. Lots of UK diving takes place from R.I.B. craft. Entry technique to a R.I.B. generally precludes objects on the front torso.

On the right I have the bungee, the clip for the inflator (I wear the inflator hose across my chest) and the clip for the long hose. On the left only the clip for the bungee. As you can seen the right D-ring is very busy.

Ok well if you are using a standard single continuous bungee you can ditch those bolt snaps. If you take another tri glide/weight keeper/whatever you want to call them, and place it about 1" under the one that holds your dring you can run the bungee right between the webbing and it. Then tie a knot in the bungee to hold it in place and to keep it from slipping out from between the webbing and the tri glide. Does that make sense?

Just a thought. Try it if you want.

Let me try to find you a pic.

Ok well if you are using a standard single continuous bungee you can ditch those bolt snaps. If you take another tri glide/weight keeper/whatever you want to call them, and place it about 1" under the one that holds your dring you can run the bungee right between the webbing and it. Then tie a knot in the bungee to hold it in place and to keep it from slipping out from between the webbing and the tri glide. Does that make sense?

Just a thought. Try it if you want.

Yes I can imagine. Just like what you do with the line/boltsnap and cam bands for the tank. I would like to retain the ability to unclip the bungee. I now added a low-profile D-ring under the right chest D-ring. I'll dive it and see how it feels like. But I think I'm going for the butt mounted pocket.

Richard,

You could look into the use of 'off-set d-rings'. Aquaventure sell them.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Offset D-Ring

Dive_Rite_Offset_D_Ring.jpg

Simply fit one underneath (pointing outwards) your current shoulder d-rings. Attach the bungees to these, leaving your primary shoulder d-rings free for normal use.

I don't do that myself, as I don't have a problem with 'd-ring clutter' (use to loading up for tech dives anyway). I have bought a few to mount back-to-back as an alternative to butt-plates on my DIY projects though.

offset.jpg

DevonDiver, Actually I got a pair of those offset D-rings which I will use for my butt mounted pocket which I just put together.

Attachments

• DSCN2708.jpg
    DSCN2708.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN2705.jpg
    DSCN2705.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN2707.jpg
    DSCN2707.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 105
sidemount configs are so different I wonder if any 2 are the same. I did start wearing a bumpcap for my backups which frees up my d rings, so all I have connected to them is my double enders and bungees and then lastly the clip on pocket.

What's a bumpcap?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom