New BP/W diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkij

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all!

I just bought my first BP/W and I went with the steel backplate. I usually use 8lbs of lead in the ocean, will I need any with a steel BP/W? Also, when I dive at home I dive in a drysuit and usually use 14LBS, how much will I use now? Where will I put the weight, string it on the webbing? Thanks for the help!!

ss back plates usually take 4-5 lbs off your weight requirement, if I remember correctly. There are several options for attaching weights; weight belt, integrating pockets to your BP, or putting them on the webbing, or v-weight/ tank weights. I would say that the least favorable ways to integrate weights are going to be non-ditch able. So putting them on your webbing/ tank/v-weight will not allow for easy ditching of weight, not a huge deal if you are properly weighted and can swim your kit if you have a wing failure. I use Zegal weight pockets on my PB but have used Dive Rite both are great options, I know other manufactures sell similar products. A weight belt is another option, not my favorite but works well. I have personally dove with all the above mentioned save for the tank/v-weight and never had a problem, I am very comfortable with my ability to swim my kit with non-ditchable weights, when I dive doubles and singles I have no ditchable weight because I use steel tanks and an AL BP but when I dive on vacation I have weight pockets to hold the lead I need.

do you have a single tank adapter with this setup? Also, what is the weight of the BP? if you are using 8 normally you should not need any with most ss setups, especially if you have a sta. as for weight, you can get a weight pouch that bolts to your backplate in the v of it. some are soft pouches that you add your own lead shot. You can find the on dive gear express online. If you want ditchable weight you can add weight pockets to your harness or use a weight belt.

How much weight you can drop will depend on your traditional BC and how negative your bp/w rig is. 6 - 8 lb's is a good estimate though assuming a 6ish lb plate and a conventional BC that is a lb or two buoyant.

With the small amount of weight needed I would (and do) just wear a weight belt. You'll never even notice wearing less than 10 lb's

Jacket BC's are positive, so just rough math, lose ~2lbs for switching. Call the plate ~5lbs and if you have a STA ~1-2. At 8lbs, you were likely not "exactly" weighted and should be fine. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work a 1-2lb trim weight is easy enough to add to your kit. Another way to go is to change your tank. If you're used to an aluminum 80, switch to something (anything) steel and you'll have no problems whatsoever.

Welcome to a new way of diving, I hope you'll find it as enjoyable as I have.

It's best practice to always do a proper weight check when diving new areas and rig. Maybe if you gave more information like the conditions you dive in, salt vs fresh, exposure protection, and tanks you use.

I took some time off from diving and was in exactly your boat back in May. I agree that you can estimate 8lbs less compared to your old BC. I'll disregard the ocean since you probably will be diving fresh soon. So 14lbs - 8lbs is 6lbs. I'd get a couple of those tank strap trim pockets and put them on your lower tank band. Put a 3 in each and see how that works out for you.

Once you get your weighting right, you can work on how to trim out by adjusting your tank or moving the pockets to the higher strap. You shouldn't need any weight pockets on your webbing itself.

Assuming 6lbs is right for you, I'd guess that when you dive in the ocean you won't need anything. Maybe a 1lb on each side.

i think i will have to put some on my upper tank strap, just a couple pound to trim correctly. am i correct in assuming that as long as i can ascend from depth with zero air in the wing that i will be ok weight wise and therefore not necessary for me to be able to ditch the weight? sorry for the hijack but i figured it was related closely enough to not start a new thread.

FWIW, in the ocean, I wear a 3mm full jumpsuit, SS BP/W, Octo regs, NO additional weights and I'm exactly where I need to be (buoyancy) to hold a 15' safety stop using an ALU 80 cylinder.

You'll just have to play with it to dial it in. I initially found myself using a few pounds with this rig, but wasn't needed.

i think i will have to put some on my upper tank strap, just a couple pound to trim correctly. am i correct in assuming that as long as i can ascend from depth with zero air in the wing that i will be ok weight wise and therefore not necessary for me to be able to ditch the weight? sorry for the hijack but i figured it was related closely enough to not start a new thread.

Generally, although I'm not a dry suit diver so I don't know how to put that part into words. I think you basically have to plan for a worst case scenario of a flooded suit, wing won't hold air and tanks are completly full. If you can swim it up in that scenario and maintain enough buoyancy at the surface to not drown then you don't need ditchable weight. Perhaps I'm wrong about the dry suit flood part. Maybe it's ok to plan for only a wing or suit failure. I just don't know to be honest. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom