New BP/W diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can swim up with no air in the BC and a full tank then you are balanced.

Hey all!

I just bought my first BP/W and I went with the steel backplate. I usually use 8lbs of lead in the ocean, will I need any with a steel BP/W? Also, when I dive at home I dive in a drysuit and usually use 14LBS, how much will I use now? Where will I put the weight, string it on the webbing? Thanks for the help!!

Weigh the plate and take that of the lead you normally use.

It should be about 5 lbs, I took little pouches the ones from the Oceanic BioLite BCD and hooked them to the backplate. It works great

Generally, although I'm not a dry suit diver so I don't know how to put that part into words. I think you basically have to plan for a worst case scenario of a flooded suit, wing won't hold air and tanks are completly full. If you can swim it up in that scenario and maintain enough buoyancy at the surface to not drown then you don't need ditchable weight. Perhaps I'm wrong about the dry suit flood part. Maybe it's ok to plan for only a wing or suit failure. I just don't know to be honest. :)

You are an honest guy. You plan for one or the other (wing failure or suit flood) with a full tank. The D/S is considered a redundant buoyancy system. This is one of the reasons D/S and doubles (especially steel doubles) are paired together, too much weight for most to swim up and you need a redundant form of lift.

I've read about wing vs suit. I've also read that if your suit floods you'll be more negative then if you just had enough air to take out the squeeze. Does that get factored in?

I dive a 2 pc 3mil with steel Bp and al 80 in fresh water. No additional weight ditch able or not.

mine is a tad heavy with a 3mm full suit and steel 72, with steel bp and single tank adapter. will my 7mm full suit its just right. however, i was leg heavy in both arrangements. i now have my own al80 that i will be playing around with setting up this weekend some more.

I've read about wing vs suit. I've also read that if your suit floods you'll be more negative then if you just had enough air to take out the squeeze. Does that get factored in?

If the suit flood with water, you loose the buoyancy from the suit. The suit itself is not negative. What can get you into trouble is if you have high loft undergarments which require lots of extra lead. Sometimes the smaller wings are not quite big enough and you won't know it until you flood. In a wet suite, its pretty obvious when your have a marginal wing size (you get slightly negative with the wing full).

If the suit flood with water, you loose the buoyancy from the suit. The suit itself is not negative.

I think I said that. If you loose the buoyancy from the suit, you'll be more negative, right? :)

This might be the winter I finally go dry. We'll have to see...

I think I said that. If you loose the buoyancy from the suit, you'll be more negative, right? :)

This might be the winter I finally go dry. We'll have to see...

I guess I was pointing out the amount of buoyancy you loose is dependent on how much air is in the d/s which in turn is controlled by the thickness of the undergarments We definitely wandered off on a rabbit trail.

Winter pushed my into d/s diving. I don't mind cold water, but cold air after the dive is a real bummer.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom