Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6.2 gram 14 k gold wedding band last friday..was cherry picking under a dive raft with my surfmaster detector..along with that a handfull of clad coins and some kiddie jelwery....12 ' water with 6 " vis and green like pea soup..but worth the time!

Well after a long time of reading of the neat finds that other divers have reported, I feel that I have now found something that rates higher than the odd anchor or old fish net. While searching for a wreck that nothing was known about in the shallow water north of Manistee, Mi yesterday we didn't find the wreck but we did find a safe that was barely visible above the sandy and rocky bottom. We spent over an hour digging it out so that we could manhandle it around and inspect it. This safe was approximately 30 inches square and stood about 36 inche tall, not counting the 3 inch steel wheels. Had a lot of fun with this activity and are now left with the question of how it got to be there. There were four of us digging and wrestling this thing around. My dive buddy racked up 73 minutes on the dive, the other dive team got about an hour and I hung out for a total of 86 minutes. Whew what a dive. Can't wait to go back and get it on the boat.

evart...you really have to let us know the outcome or output unless it makes you a target of the IRS. We understand.

You're going to need a boat with a winch and an arm to get that thing out of the water.

You're going to need a boat with a winch and an arm to get that thing out of the water.

Yep, we were working on those plans as we headed back to the marina. Hopefully it won't take too long and I will be able to post pictures of the "recovery". As far as the 'outcome' I would love to play it low key and close to the chest but the main outer door was already gone when we found it (appeared to have had the hinge pins torched off) and the inner door finally yielded to our efforts but all that we found inside was sand and water. Apparently it had been dumped(?) there after a robbery. But we don't care, it was still exciting and the recovery will add to the story. Thanks for reading.

Sounds like evidence in a B&E. MSP would be interested in that. Be careful.

Sounds like evidence in a B&E. MSP would be interested in that. Be careful.
Thanks Doug, we have already considered that and are following up. One of the divers that was with me is employed in the corrections field, one is a prominent local business man and the third is a very seasoned CD who interacts with nearly all of the northern Michigan authorities and I do instruction for the local sheriff's department so we all have reputations to protect and the contacts to follow up on this. But, again, thanks for the word of warning, I took it in the spirit that it was intended

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom