Failed Checkout Dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but when you do the last 2 dives, be sure to get the same instructor or a good friend of the instructor. Assuming you are using PADI or SSI or another similar agency, a different instructor might not only make you do the skills required for those dives, he or she might also report the first instructor for the standards violations. Such a report is also required.

I don't recall seeing anywhere in this thread that the instructor recommended, or even knew about the Sudafed, so I don't think there was a standards violation, unless there is something else you are keying in on.

I don't recall seeing anywhere in this thread that the instructor recommended, or even knew about the Sudafed, so I don't think there was a standards violation, unless there is something else you are keying in on.
It has nothing to do with Sudafed. The OP said all skills were completed and he only needed bottom time. As I said in my first post, there are specific skills required in dives 3 and 4 by most agencies, including the most well known, like PADI and SSI. There are a number of skills that can be done on either dives 2, 3, or 4, and it would be very difficult to do them all on dive 2.

It has nothing to do with Sudafed. The OP said all skills were completed and he only needed bottom time. As I said in my first post, there are specific skills required in dives 3 and 4 by most agencies, including the most well known, like PADI and SSI. There are a number of skills that can be done on either dives 2, 3, or 4, and it would be very difficult to do them all on dive 2.

sorry about that, I had a feeling I was missing something :)

Re: Sudafed - Obviously you shouldn't be taking it at all due to your family history, but for others, the product you want to get is the NON-DROWSY version of Sudafed.

You seem like you have a story to tell. Did you get a reverse squeeze from taking sudafed?

Not from sudafed, but I did get one. I'm not exactly sure why I got it - maybe I had a cold coming on and didn't realize it or something. But, it was miserable. It was painful, it made it hard to sleep, and it lasted something like 2/3 days before it finally let go. If sudafed increases the chance of that happening again, I'm not interested in taking the risk.

SB is often the source of very good information. But, at times it can also be a source of misinformation, which may go unchallenged and therefore become accepted. So, some clarification may be in order.

1. It would be useful to know, from the OP, exactly what OTC medication was taken. 'Sudafed' has unfortunately become a somewhat genericized term, even though the origin is actually a particular brand name (the same thing has essentially happened with 'Tylenol'). For example, was it actually 'Sudafed' - the product containing pseudoephedrine? Or, was it 'Sudafed PE' - the compound containing phenylephrine? Or, was it a product purporting to be a decongestant? Or, a product purporting to be useful for 'cold and sinus' problems? I don't ask to challenge the OP's experience, rather to try and enhance the value of the information contained in the thread.

2. It is unlikely, if the product was a decongestant-only medication, that an 'allergic' reaction would actually be caused by the active ingedient in the decongestant product, be it pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine. It is far more likely that an allergic reaction would be stimulated by one of the 'inert' ingedients - fillers, binders, dyes, etc - in the commercially available preparation. That does not mean that you won't experience the same reaction with another product containing, among other things, a decongestant like pseudoephrdrine, as many of the fillers, binders, and dyes are common across commercial medications.

3. There are quite a few combination products on the market, with active ingedients that include both a deongestant and an antihistamine. Given the description of the symptoms posted by the OP, I have to wonder (as TSandM pointed out) if what was used was one of these combinations, because what was described sounds very much like a reaction to the pharmacologic effects of an antihistamine - specificially drowsiness and a queezy feeling. I am not trying to pursue remote diagnosis, rather trying to better understand what was taken.

4. Yes, it is common practice in diving to recommend against taking a decongestant before diving, because of the concern about the effects of the medication wearing off during the dive, and the possibility of reverse block developing. HOWEVER, it is also common practice a) for many divers to use Sudafed (as damselfish noted), and b) for more than a few competent, knowledgeable ENT physicians to recommend that divers who report trouble clearing their ears, OR experiencing reverse block, to take pseudoephedrine immediately before (within an hour) a dive. The key is timing - an oral tablet dosage form will take a certain amount of time to disintegrate / dissolve, then to be absorbed, etc. after administration. The peak plasma concentrations after oral Sudafed administration (non-extended release) are seen between 1 and 2 hours after ingestion, but detectable plasma concentrations remain for several hours after that. Unless you are planning a 4 hour dive, it is very unlikely that the effects of a dose taken within the hour before splashing will wear off during a routine recreational dive. In fact, it is quite likely that you will have maximum benefit during the hour or so that you are diving. I take Sudafed before virtually every dive - my primary ENT problem is actually reverse block (not trouble clearing on descent) in one ear. I do so because of the specific recommendation of my ENT (who is also a diver). Therefore, it is probably unwise to make categorical statements about NEVER taking a decongestant before diving, because that doesn't match reality, nor is it good science, nor is it compatible with comtemporary medical practice.

5. Some of the best advice to come out of this thread is - do not try a new medication for the first time immediately before diving. Related to that might be - if you think you need a decongestant to help your ears during diving, discuss it with a knowleagable health professional. I have referred several students to my ENT for evaluation, because they were unable to clear their ears without discomfort, using appropriate techniques, and after trying a decongestant before diving. In several cases, there were underlying ear problems that resolved with approrpiate intervention, and the students were able to succesfully complete their training and enjoy diving.

Last edited:
Not from sudafed, but I did get one. I'm not exactly sure why I got it - maybe I had a cold coming on and didn't realize it or something. But, it was miserable. It was painful, it made it hard to sleep, and it lasted something like 2/3 days before it finally let go. If sudafed increases the chance of that happening again, I'm not interested in taking the risk.

I am sure it is not comfortable. I did hear that the instructor who conducted my OW dives had a reverse block and had to give up diving for months afterwards. There are techniques to try to clear reverse blocks, but some are just unresolvable and the choice will eventually be ascend and inflict injury or run ooa, not a choice anyone wants to be in the position of.

I will say again, I am not trying to convince anyone to take anything pre-dive, but do you not think it is possible that taking sudafed MAY have held the block off long enough for you to complete your dive without injury? I'm just saying that I don't believe it is so black and white.

If it makes you feel any better, I thumbed a dive because I had an unco-operative ear....
Ive done it too and it sucks, but it beats the option..
And yeah, my airconditioner was NOT on for a few days after that to avoid the "AC airways" :wink:

Colliam the actual product was "Sudafed 12 Hour". I spoke to the pharmacist and explained what happened he said this is what I want: SUDAFED® 12 HOUR - SUDAFED® (The box in front NOT the non-drowsy one in the background... They were behind the counter so I didn't see there being a non-drowsy one)... I told a DM what happened cause he asked if I was sick when he saw all my tissues on my front seat of the car (Disgusting.. I know... don't judge me! lol) I told him what happened and he said "Sudafed 12 hour is the only thing that allows one of my friends to dive". I took it an hour before the dive, and as we got to the site BOOM I was knocked out. I've got my last two dives scheduled THursday afternoon with the dive shop owner! Not the same instructor but the owner of the shop the instructor taught under, so I'll be set!

Thumbing a dive is a hard thing to do, especially when invested in it. Good on you. I thumbed a second dive due to an ear (reverse block), it was hard. Sometimes we (I) confuse the dive with the man, not diving doesn't destroy the man. There will be more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom